GN and T-Type Performance Enthusiasts (GNTTYPE) Forums GN and T-Type Performance Enthusiasts (GNTTYPE) Forums
This is a general site search and does not include list archives.

Go Back   GN and T-Type Performance Enthusiasts (GNTTYPE) Forums > Technical Topics > Suspension/Rear Ends

Old 06-29-2013, 01:15 PM

tlederer is on a distinguished road
Default 87 turbo t rear diff

I just noticed that my new to me 27k mile turbo t only spins the right rear. Could there be something wrong with rear end? Or was posi an option my car does not have?
Old 06-29-2013, 03:57 PM
Senior Contributor

Shawn N is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 87 turbo t rear diff

Check the trunk lid rpo sticker for G-80 (posi option).
Old 06-29-2013, 04:47 PM

Bang Head Re: 87 turbo t rear diff

No G80, I guess performance mods on hold until I fix this problem. Any suggestions on limited slip unit? I thought all TR had posi.
Old 06-29-2013, 06:27 PM
Senior Contributor

Shawn N is on a distinguished road

Maybe 60 to 70% have factory posi. Some cars came with posi and the owners went for the cheaper fix with a non-posi. Eaton is a good choice for a replacement.
Old 06-30-2013, 03:45 AM

Red84Ttype is on a distinguished road

I barley figured that out too. How much of a difference does the posi actually make?
Old 06-30-2013, 09:19 AM

jlat is on a distinguished road

hello people; I'd like to here some opinions on the posi, limited slip diff subject. I guess for full rubber to the road posi is the way to go but isn't limited slip just as good for a street car?
I just looked at my window sticker from my 86 T and it has a G80 limited slip for a $95.00 add on.
IBBY
Old 06-30-2013, 09:53 AM
GNTTYPE Founder

Keller is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb Re: 87 turbo t rear diff

Well, a new Eaton will be a far cry from $95 now. You can easily spend $600 for a new one, and you still have to install it or get it installed. It is possible to find used ones that have (or can be) rebuilt, but you are not the only person looking for one.

There are good and bad points for posi. For good launches with both wheels putting power to the pavement, it is pretty essential.

It requires maintenance via the inclusion of an additive with every rear end gear lube change. And that must be done to keep it working properly.

And posi clutches do not last forever. The harder you work the clutches, the quicker they will wear and the posi clutches and steels have to be replaced. They wear during hard launches, and even during turns.

Driving in very thick snow can actually be more difficult with the posi. I recall driving my T to work (when I had to) in show and the car would go down the street at a ~25 degree angle once I got into overdrive. That was something I had to get used to. And yes, it was working fine at the time. Going at all in that sort of weather might have been tougher without it.
Old 06-30-2013, 10:07 AM

It doesn't take much for me to break the tires loose even in second now so I guess I have no choice. Unless I want to drive like a blue haired old lady. I would like to here more on limited slip vs locker.
Old 06-30-2013, 10:40 AM
GNTTYPE Founder

Keller is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb Re: 87 turbo t rear diff

IMHO, if this is primarily a street car, go with a clutch style posi. (i.e. Eaton 19557-010 if the car has the stock 28 spline axles) New ones are about $500, but then will require bearings, shims, etc. plus the setup labor. It is possible to find used ones. And they can be rebuilt.

Cone type units can work well, but are not able to be rebuilt once the "cone" is worn.

Low end lockers (i.e. Eaton units used in small pickups) are only able to provide "locking" at slow speeds and disengage when above about 25-30 MPH. The are also not that strong.

The good lockers are strong, but make a distinct "chunk" noise that can be heard and felt when engaging and disengaging. More suited to a car that is used only for racing, and not street use.
Old 06-30-2013, 06:03 PM
Senior Contributor

pajeff87 is on a distinguished road

True Trac may also be an option -- this is a gear type posi that does not require any additive and there are no clutches or steels to wear out. I have been running one in our Trans Am for the past 3 years with zero issues.