GN and T-Type Performance Enthusiasts (GNTTYPE) Forums GN and T-Type Performance Enthusiasts (GNTTYPE) Forums
This is a general site search and does not include list archives.

Go Back   GN and T-Type Performance Enthusiasts (GNTTYPE) Forums > Add-on Electronics and Electrical > Computer Chips/Stock ECMs

Old 06-20-2007, 03:23 PM

TurboTLover23 is on a distinguished road
Default How Much Horsepower?

How much horsepower would yall say if i had a KennyBell 93 Octane chip, K&N airfilters(one over where the oil,one behind the turbo, and the main one by the mass airflow sensor), Performance Flowmaster Exhaust???
I have a 1987 Buick Turbo-T stock 245 right

im a kid give me a break

Last edited by TurboTLover23; 06-20-2007 at 03:28 PM.
Old 06-22-2007, 04:14 PM
Senior Contributor

zeus87gn is on a distinguished road
Default Re: How Much Horsepower?

Someone will correct me if I am wrong, but I believe 245 was the fcty rating. I really wouldn't want to guess. It's hard to really tell without dyno numbers to back up any statement. Mileage and correct tune have a lot to do with it.

I can tell you that you are holding back more power by that KB chip and the flowmaster exhaust. More by the chip. I had an old KB and it didn't make the car run well at all. TurboTweak chips have it right for today's gas.

Do you have a scanmaster? I just got one and found out my TPS was out of whack. Adjusted that and it was like adding hp by turning a screw. Noticable difference is my point. These cars have to be tuned properly. You need to research to learn more.

If I may add a piece of advice to a young driver...
Don't go shooting your mouth off about how 'bad' your TR is until you have it running correctly and KNOW what it's capable of. You have a piece of automotive history there. Take care of it. Don't abuse it.
Old 06-22-2007, 05:46 PM
Senior Contributor

NOTACARLO is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to NOTACARLO

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus87gn
If I may add a piece of advice to a young driver...
Don't go shooting your mouth off about how 'bad' your TR is until you have it running correctly and KNOW what it's capable of. You have a piece of automotive history there. Take care of it. Don't abuse it.

You got that from the bible didn't you...

Could not have put it better myself, and great advice!
Just another not stock regal. P&P heads/intake, 61mm GT, SLIC w/neck, SMC boozamahol, Sewer sized DP, 60#inj, TT 93, Hofer tranny, fuel cell, A1000 pump, stock cam/pistons, 100lb springs, titanium retainers, SS polished TA valves.
Old 06-23-2007, 01:44 AM

thanx
oh i know what i got
my dad has a 87 Gn but his computer screwed for some reason
i did beat a 2004 mustang gt haha
but i dont brag or say stuff no one really knows what these cars can do and only at such lil rpm
but yeah the kb is my dads im getting a new one when i get a job
but ill go with that turbotweak like u said but i dont have a scanmaster and im bout to buy that deltronic thingy idk whats its called but its measures everything ur horses and g force and ur max speed and a 1/4

I have had this beauty since i was 15 i aint neer getting rid of it haha
Old 06-23-2007, 03:51 AM
Transplant!

socalgn is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboTLover23
How much horsepower would yall say if i had a KennyBell 93 Octane chip, K&N airfilters(one over where the oil,one behind the turbo, and the main one by the mass airflow sensor), Performance Flowmaster Exhaust???
I have a 1987 Buick Turbo-T stock 245 right

im a kid give me a break
Factory rating was 245hp, 355 TQ at the flywheel- reality was a bit more ...
a bone stock car was good for high 14s/low 13s in the 1/4, which works out to about 255hp at the wheels (14.3 ET @ 95MPH, 3800lb car)

Good start on the mods (well, kinda)...

Get rid of that KB chip- too much timing, and the fuel available isn't like it was when that chip was the hot ticket (about 1987-1990). Get a turbotweak chip, and you're set.

Get rid of the flowmaster- chmbered mufflers only add backpressure and steal HP from you- and they sound like crap.

To answer your question- figure the air filter (cone type) is good for about 15hp at max flow, and a good free flowing exhaust (not the flowmaster) is good for another 15 or so.

Before you destroy your car, get a scantool, and learn to tune your car- then put a good fuel pump in it (hotwired), and figure out how fast you want to go....

Welcome to the darkside!
Old 06-23-2007, 09:33 AM
Tech Support

PaCemkr86 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to PaCemkr86

you need a scan tool.. that is the most important thing you need first

My Turbo Buick
Old 06-23-2007, 12:22 PM
GNTTYPE Founder

Keller is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Re: How Much Horsepower?

Flowmaster makes a singe-muffler crossflow exhaust (stock style) for these cars that likely has the same flow problems as the stock system.

I know people that have used regular Flowmaster mufflers in a dual configuration and had them work well. Doesn't make sense since the exhaust after the turbo doesn't have the pulses the Flowmaster design depends on, but they did work well on this GN.

This is getting far afield of chip/ECM chat. Bottom line: Ditch the KB chip. Get a scan tool. Upgrade your fuel pump and get improved pump wiring ('hot wire'). See our 'recipes' for more tuning tips.
Old 06-23-2007, 12:44 PM

thanx guys yall are alot of help
how much horse power would a street turbotweak give me

Last edited by TurboTLover23; 06-23-2007 at 07:18 PM.
Old 06-23-2007, 07:34 PM
GNTTYPE Founder

Keller is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Re: How Much Horsepower?

There is not way to say how much HP a chip change or any part change on a given car will make. You can only estimate it.

When my car was 100% stock, I changed only the chip (sadly, a KB chip...I knew nothing back then) and managed to get the car to go a full second faster. Put 13.7 vs. 14.7 in your HP calculator and work that out. However, that was my car and my dumb ass luck. That means nothing for your car.

Caveat emptor.
Old 06-26-2007, 01:23 PM
Senior Contributor

ed39 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to ed39

turbo tweak has good stuff. he will match your chip to wat ever you have in to the car. to make it perfect. also..... you can adjust the chip to fine tune your car this is neat. but wen you go doing it do small adjustments dont go wild.

and my advice since im 18 and have a gn. this is the best site you can be on just read posts and study the car thats how i fouund my way around. got a good idea wat they are capable of now......