GN and T-Type Performance Enthusiasts (GNTTYPE) Forums GN and T-Type Performance Enthusiasts (GNTTYPE) Forums
This is a general site search and does not include list archives.

Go Back   GN and T-Type Performance Enthusiasts (GNTTYPE) Forums > Technical Topics > Gauges

Old 08-19-2007, 04:46 AM

86GNGUY is on a distinguished road
Default oil press. gauge connection

I am running an autometer procomp oil electric oil press gauge, and noticed idling at the light with engine warm, it read 100# of press. sometimes around 70 psi. On the sending unit I have 1 wire on one contact and nothing on the other. Can someone help with how the gauge and sending unit should be connected, and aren't my reading's far too high. It reads higher pressure idling than cruising, i'm using 5w-50 mobile 1.
Old 08-19-2007, 10:31 AM
Senior Contributor

chrisgarrett is on a distinguished road
Default Re: oil press. gauge connection

Where is the sending unit installed? Are you saying the sending unit has two attachment points?
Depending on the age and condition of you motor, idle pressure can vary between 12 and 25 pounds.
2008 rebuild, Comp roller cam, Cat stroker, RJC gridle, CPT66BB, PTE Stock Location, Champion iron, 60# Mototron, ported throttlebody, RJC Power Plate, Jimmy-built trans w/Precision Vigilante converter, ATR SS dual exhaust, Razor alky.
Old 08-19-2007, 10:33 AM
Senior Contributor

Here's how mine is setup. It's hard to tell from pic, but the sending unit has only one wire attachment.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0118.JPG
Views:	6162
Size:	127.7 KB
ID:	916  
2008 rebuild, Comp roller cam, Cat stroker, RJC gridle, CPT66BB, PTE Stock Location, Champion iron, 60# Mototron, ported throttlebody, RJC Power Plate, Jimmy-built trans w/Precision Vigilante converter, ATR SS dual exhaust, Razor alky.
Old 08-19-2007, 11:33 AM
Tech Support

PaCemkr86 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to PaCemkr86

nice pic Chris..

My Turbo Buick
Old 08-19-2007, 12:27 PM
Senior Contributor

Thanks Phil. Actually my present setup is a little different. I plugged the turbo oil feed as part of the PTE turbo saver kit.
Old 08-21-2007, 02:48 AM

buickpe87 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86GNGUY
I am running an autometer procomp oil electric oil press gauge, and noticed idling at the light with engine warm, it read 100# of press. sometimes around 70 psi. On the sending unit I have 1 wire on one contact and nothing on the other. Can someone help with how the gauge and sending unit should be connected, and aren't my reading's far too high. It reads higher pressure idling than cruising, i'm using 5w-50 mobile 1.

I have "remote" solution for the orginal pressure switch and the sending unit of oil pressure gauge. I let hydraulic shop to make the hose- about 60 cm or so- with suitable fittings for the engine side and remote "T" side. That remote T with pressure switch and oil pressure gauge sender is located near the battery behind of the radiator side tank fastened into inner plastic fender(where the battery is located). In this solution you shall lengthen the wires for the original pressure switch.

I have Autometer oilpressure gauge too, but its sending unit has only one electrical connector. I had to arrange the good ground for the sender, because of the location of that remote system- plastic inner fender.
Old 08-29-2007, 01:45 PM

86GNGUY is on a distinguished road

Thanks--Chris/ Phil for your input, my sending unit is mounted in the same place as yours Chris except i don't have the electrical unit on the brass block with the 3 prongs on it . What is it for? And Phil i like your remote solution , easier to get at. Maybe i have a faulty ground or something , i don't know why mine reads so high. ---86GNGUY---Steve.
Old 08-29-2007, 01:54 PM
Tech Support

the 3 pronged fitting is for the factory oil pressure switch.. " the low oil light"

My Turbo Buick
Old 08-29-2007, 02:31 PM
Senior Contributor

Phil,
Isn't the factory low oil sending unit also wired to the fuel pump?
Old 08-29-2007, 03:01 PM
Tech Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisgarrett
Phil,
Isn't the factory low oil sending unit also wired to the fuel pump?
it is, but if un hooked the fuel pump still works

My Turbo Buick