GN and T-Type Performance Enthusiasts (GNTTYPE) Forums GN and T-Type Performance Enthusiasts (GNTTYPE) Forums
This is a general site search and does not include list archives.

Go Back   GN and T-Type Performance Enthusiasts (GNTTYPE) Forums > Technical Topics > Driveability / Troubleshooting

Old 10-21-2010, 08:48 AM

coatkins is on a distinguished road
Default buick turned vw bug

I have an 87 turbo t. It had been sitting in the garage awhile. I charged battery and took it for a spin. Ran perfectly. I spooled up the turbo and next thing I know I have a miss. The vehicle idles fine. It looses power and sound like a vw bug under acceleration. This led me to believe it was vacuum. Checked the lines off the compressor housing and wastegate, (which by the way the turbo does not spool up now). Both are connected. Checked other vacuum lines, replaced as necessary. Checked and replaced plugs. they looked ok. Question. On the wategate selenoid located on the passenger side valve cover, there are two vacuum ports. Are both supposed to have a vacuum line going to them? If so , where does the second line connect. I know the first goes to the compressor housing and wastegate. Fuel pressure is good. holding at 38 psi. I did notice it dropped to 25 psi after I let it idle for about 3 hours in attempt to burn off old gas prior to replacing pugs. Any thoughts. Should I consider replacing the wastegate actuator?
Old 10-21-2010, 09:32 AM
Whoosh

kenmosher is on a distinguished road
Default Re: buick turned vw bug

Check the hoses to the intercooler (on both sides)... especially look at the underside where they attach and are hard to see.

My guess is you blew a hose loose and it's leaking/split.
2012 Volkswagen Tiguan (the Tig!) Night Blue Met (sold)
2006 Trailblazer SS Red Jewel Tint 395 HP AWD (sold)
2014 Silverado LTZ Crew 4WD
2012 Honda VFR 1200F Tahitian Blue (sold)
2015 BMW S1000R Racing Red
2013 Honda CBR500R Red (wife's bike)
2014 Triumph Bonneville T100
2003 Harley Davidson V Rod Anniversary Edition
Old 10-21-2010, 11:15 AM
GNTTYPE Founder

Keller is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb Re: buick turned vw bug

Quote:
Originally Posted by coatkins View Post
next thing I know I have a miss. The vehicle idles fine. It looses power and sound like a vw bug under acceleration. This led me to believe it was vacuum.
Hmmm... How long has this car been "sitting"? A misfire with the ignition that is on these cars creates two plugs not firing, not one. That could mean a bad ignition module or coil (more the former than latter), plug wire, plug, etc.

Do you have a "noid" light to check plug firing? What about a timing light? If so for either, I would check all cylinders for spark. I hope I am wrong.
Old 10-21-2010, 03:08 PM

I havent been driving the car more than a test drive maybe once a month for about 2 years. At most I may put 40 miles on it at that time. I swapped out coil packs, just happened to have an extra. All cylinders appear to be firing. I replaced all the vacuum hoses. I have another wastegate actuator on the way. I hope its just bad gas. Any remedy short of siphoning out the tank?
Old 10-21-2010, 06:07 PM
GNTTYPE Founder

Lightbulb Re: buick turned vw bug

You can use the pump to pump it out via the rail.

Been discussed many times on here. Remove the valve in the throttle body, slip a length of 3/8" fuel line over the rail end, then apply voltage to the black spade connector on the grey wire near the #1 cylinder (with the car off) to get the pump to run.

Still don't think that is your issue. Think it may be a weak pump or a bad pair on the ignition module.
Old 10-22-2010, 09:57 AM
Whoosh

kenmosher is on a distinguished road

I still think it sounds suspiciously like a hose is leaking/blown off ... especially since it started all of a sudden after boost. Reseat ALL of the hoses (turbo -> intercooler, intercooler->uppipe, uppipe -> throttle body) to be sure they didn't roll under or split (especially on the bottom side).

Bad gas, while possible, wouldn't all of sudden show symptoms ... a coil pack might, but I'd check the real easy stuff first...
2012 Volkswagen Tiguan (the Tig!) Night Blue Met (sold)
2006 Trailblazer SS Red Jewel Tint 395 HP AWD (sold)
2014 Silverado LTZ Crew 4WD
2012 Honda VFR 1200F Tahitian Blue (sold)
2015 BMW S1000R Racing Red
2013 Honda CBR500R Red (wife's bike)
2014 Triumph Bonneville T100
2003 Harley Davidson V Rod Anniversary Edition
Old 10-25-2010, 08:00 AM

its been a couple days since i could pay it some attention. Thank you gentlemen for the expertise. I will post the results.
Old 10-26-2010, 06:57 PM

the saga continues. was hoping to avoid a big expense, but looks like I am going to have to give it a try. I dont know what I am complaining about. the car is paid for and has been running well on the ignition module and original coil pack since 1987. Idrained the gas and placed new in, with some seafoam. Seams to run "better" but still has the stutter when gassing from idle. All vacuum is replaced. Going with the expensive now. Plan to order new ignition module with coil pack from highway stars. I hope this does it. Thanks again
Old 10-26-2010, 09:43 PM
GNTTYPE Founder

Question Re: buick turned vw bug

Quote:
Originally Posted by coatkins View Post
the car is paid for and has been running well on the ignition module and original coil pack since 1987.

Do you have the original air in the tires as well?

Yeah..I think it may be time. Hoping to get 25 years out of those is a bit much. Call it "fair" at 23.

Have you ever replaced the fuel pump?
Old 10-28-2010, 10:52 PM

yes I have, replaced fuel pump with a high performance pump and hot wire kit when the upgraded t-49, terry houston downpipe,and headers were installed. Also put on a heated oxygen sensor with Hooker cat back exhaust . Oh and new tires. I saved the old air though and placed it back in. I also installed a vacuum brake conversion from Master Power Brakes after Advance quit stocking the Power master rebuilds that were under warranty. I guess they were tired of seeing me and probably others every two years for replacements.