GN and T-Type Performance Enthusiasts (GNTTYPE) Forums GN and T-Type Performance Enthusiasts (GNTTYPE) Forums
This is a general site search and does not include list archives.

Go Back   GN and T-Type Performance Enthusiasts (GNTTYPE) Forums > Technical Topics > Turbochargers and Intercoolers

Old 03-07-2013, 06:38 PM

Jims project is on a distinguished road
Default Turbo suggestions for my motor

I'm close to needing a turbo and need suggestions.. the car will be a weekend type driver 95% of the time and maybe a few 1/8 mile runs..my build is .20 over 109 block unturned crank, J.E. Pistons, 2 center billet caps, RJC gridle,rollmaster chain, studded bottom end, 224/224 roller, 1.60 scorpion rockers, ferrera valves, ported alum GN1's, Bhj ex.balanced balancer, high volume front cover..was told that a TE45A would work good..to be honest I really don't know and need good suggestions..I'm trying for the perfect combination..thanks
Old 03-07-2013, 10:51 PM
Senior Contributor

Shawn N is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Turbo suggestions for my motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jims project View Post
I'm close to needing a turbo and need suggestions.. the car will be a weekend type driver 95% of the time and maybe a few 1/8 mile runs..my build is .20 over 109 block unturned crank, J.E. Pistons, 2 center billet caps, RJC gridle,rollmaster chain, studded bottom end, 224/224 roller, 1.60 scorpion rockers, ferrera valves, ported alum GN1's, Bhj ex.balanced balancer, high volume front cover..was told that a TE45A would work good..to be honest I really don't know and need good suggestions..I'm trying for the perfect combination..thanks
What stall converter and injectors are on the car?
Old 03-08-2013, 01:35 AM
GNTTYPE Founder

Keller is on a distinguished road
Question Re: Turbo suggestions for my motor

That is a BIG cam...

Stock crank, or billet?

I'm concerned that if the crank is stock, it will be somewhat of a "fuse" in your combo. Do you have a particular HP or ET ballpark you are looking for?
Old 03-08-2013, 06:30 AM

convertor will depend on turbo ..thinking around a 3200 or 3400.. injectors will be 120's on e-85 with modded ECM
Old 03-08-2013, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keller View Post
That is a BIG cam...

Stock crank, or billet?

I'm concerned that if the crank is stock, it will be somewhat of a "fuse" in your combo. Do you have a particular HP or ET ballpark you are looking for?
stock crank,, no particular HP just good street manners.. it was already in the motor when i got it [ the cam] ..I would like to maybe keep it for now because of the cost of my restoration I'm doing
Old 03-08-2013, 10:19 AM
Whoosh

kenmosher is on a distinguished road

That's all pretty race car level stuff. Sounds like its good well into the tens. A TE45 or even better would be the newer style garret 6776(?) .. Basically an updated version. You might consider ball bearing center section to help with spool or with that big cam it's going to be a soggy ride on the street IMHO.
2012 Volkswagen Tiguan (the Tig!) Night Blue Met (sold)
2006 Trailblazer SS Red Jewel Tint 395 HP AWD (sold)
2014 Silverado LTZ Crew 4WD
2012 Honda VFR 1200F Tahitian Blue (sold)
2015 BMW S1000R Racing Red
2013 Honda CBR500R Red (wife's bike)
2014 Triumph Bonneville T100
2003 Harley Davidson V Rod Anniversary Edition
Old 03-08-2013, 10:33 AM
Senior Contributor

Shawn N is on a distinguished road

I hope everything in the fuel system has been changed out to stainless steel with blue o rings otherwise that E-85 is going to corrode the entire fuel system. I recommend you call PTE or Limit about the turbo.
Old 03-09-2013, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn N View Post
I hope everything in the fuel system has been changed out to stainless steel with blue o rings otherwise that E-85 is going to corrode the entire fuel system. I recommend you call PTE or Limit about the turbo.
fuel system has been changed over.. never thought of them,,
i'll call them.
Old 03-09-2013, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenmosher View Post
That's all pretty race car level stuff. Sounds like its good well into the tens. A TE45 or even better would be the newer style garret 6776(?) .. Basically an updated version. You might consider ball bearing center section to help with spool or with that big cam it's going to be a soggy ride on the street IMHO.
trying to make things work for now. but if i need to i might change out the cam..I've seen several 45's for sale at a decent price for a old school turbo..