GN and T-Type Performance Enthusiasts (GNTTYPE) Forums GN and T-Type Performance Enthusiasts (GNTTYPE) Forums
This is a general site search and does not include list archives.

Go Back   GN and T-Type Performance Enthusiasts (GNTTYPE) Forums > Technical Topics > Turbochargers and Intercoolers

Old 09-19-2010, 08:54 PM

1fast6 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: vacuum lines for boost solenoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigman View Post
I just got my gn and i'm still trying to learn about the car doing a lot of research . Q; my boost solenoid isnt hooked up their is a 90 degree fitting on the tubing that goes to the wastgate is this correct or should i hook up the solenoid? thanks
This is correct. There is a 90 coming off the solenoid and then a straight vac hose to the w/g actuator. On the solenoid, the nipple closest the firewall is open to atmosphere.
Old 08-16-2012, 07:41 AM
Senior Contributor

kna4977 is on a distinguished road

http://www.installationinstructions....egate_hose.pdf

Looking at replacing some vacuum lines. In reference to the ones shown in the diagram in the link above (the same ones the OP described), I found the one that goes to the turbo itself unattached. The hose itself was old and didn't stay on very well so it probably just slipped off. My question is what specifically is the purpose of this vacuum hose and what can happen if detached?
Old 08-16-2012, 04:34 PM
GNTTYPE Founder

Keller is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Re: vacuum lines for boost solenoid

The one that has pressure from the compressor?

It opens the wastegate. Without it, your boost will be high. Very high. As in gasket-poppin' high. Basically, without any control at all. Of course you'll lose a bit of pressure via the open fitting or loose hose. But there is not enough volume there to really keep things in control.

A straight piece of 7/32" hose to replace it will work fine.
Old 08-16-2012, 06:16 PM
Senior Contributor

kna4977 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keller View Post
The one that has pressure from the compressor?

It opens the wastegate. Without it, your boost will be high. Very high. As in gasket-poppin' high. Basically, without any control at all. Of course you'll lose a bit of pressure via the open fitting or loose hose. But there is not enough volume there to really keep things in control.

A straight piece of 7/32" hose to replace it will work fine.
I believe so. There's one hose to the solenoid that goes down to the V which has one hose branching off to the wastegate and then the other hose that branches off and goes directly to the turbo. This is the one that goes directly to the turbo.
Old 03-03-2013, 11:04 PM
Senior Contributor

pajeff87 is on a distinguished road

New to the site... and, as of last Friday, new owner of a 1987 Regal Turbo. I have been reading quite a bit on here am learning as I go. I take it this is the boost solenoid? I have an open port and am not sure if that is atmospheric reference, or if something is missing...

Old 03-04-2013, 03:06 AM
GNTTYPE Founder

Lightbulb Re: vacuum lines for boost solenoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by pajeff87 View Post
I take it this is the boost solenoid? I have an open port and am not sure if that is atmospheric reference, or if something is missing.
Yes, and yes. That port had a rectangular foam filter on it from the factory, but they did not stay on long after the cars left the factory. I had a box of new ones I bought years ago, and they even turned to junk away from heat and light. Leaving it open is OK.
Old 03-04-2013, 04:40 AM
Senior Contributor

Shawn N is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by pajeff87 View Post
New to the site... and, as of last Friday, new owner of a 1987 Regal Turbo. I have been reading quite a bit on here am learning as I go. I take it this is the boost solenoid? I have an open port and am not sure if that is atmospheric reference, or if something is missing...
You can buy those filters for $2 for 3 at many of the TR vendors (Kirban, GBody, Highway Stars, etc.). Just put a little butyl tape on the back of the nipple and it will stay on.

Last edited by Keller; 03-04-2013 at 05:12 AM. Reason: Removed pic from quote - not necessary
Old 03-04-2013, 05:11 AM
GNTTYPE Founder

Thumbs down Re: vacuum lines for boost solenoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn N View Post
Just put a little butyl tape on the back of the nipple and it will stay on.
...until it fragments into nothing. Unless you are in a show and being concours judged, I would not waste your time or money.
Old 03-10-2013, 09:25 PM
Senior Contributor

pajeff87 is on a distinguished road

I had some other stuff to order and a three pack of filters was cheap, so I went ahead and bought some. Thanks for the assistance, I have a lot to learn about on this car.
Old 03-11-2013, 02:22 AM
Senior Contributor

Shawn N is on a distinguished road

No problem just ask if you need any more info on stuff or where to buy it. Keller's T/R is a different animal. It breathes fire and burns up his solenoid filters so he's really angry about it.