GN and T-Type Performance Enthusiasts (GNTTYPE) Forums GN and T-Type Performance Enthusiasts (GNTTYPE) Forums
This is a general site search and does not include list archives.

Go Back   GN and T-Type Performance Enthusiasts (GNTTYPE) Forums > Technical Topics > Engine Electrical/Ignition

Old 06-19-2010, 05:13 PM

fastTurb is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Getting a tach to read properly (Split from: Re: Analyzing ignition misfires)

what are folks doing using the magnavox module and needing/wanting a tach signal for add-on tach? I noticed the tach shows rpm for about 10 seconds when I first start then drops out. is there a way to make it stay on or pick up the signal somewhere else so I can use my tach rather than turbolink full-time? thanks.
Old 06-19-2010, 11:30 PM
GNTTYPE Founder

Keller is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb Re: Getting a tach to read properly (Split from: Re: Analyzing ignition misfires)

I bought my VDO tach years ago and was able to get VDO to modify it to work properly.

Dennis Kirban used to insure that every VDO tach he sold was properly modified before it was sent out.

Casper's Electronics sells a modue to address the issue. See http://www.casperselectronics.com/st...roducts_id=598
Old 06-20-2010, 07:59 AM
Retired

turbodave38 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to turbodave38
Default Re: Getting a tach to read properly (Split from: Re: Analyzing ignition misfires)

Scott, He's refering to the Magnavox module, which if I remember correctly, doesn't even have a tach output.
SD2 Speed Density fuel, spark and boost management
Old 06-20-2010, 02:39 PM
GNTTYPE Founder

Post Re: Getting a tach to read properly (Split from: Re: Analyzing ignition misfires)

For clarity's sake, I guess we need to know if he is referring to the 84-85 setup (unlikely), the 86-87 setup (very likely, and I believe this is generally referred to as the Magnavox DIS, and possibly Type I), or the Type II (less likely) used in the Series II (NOT Stage II) motors. The last selection has individual coils, and can be adapted for use on our cars.

To my knowledge, the Type II does not allow the tach output lead with the green connector to function at all.

My comments were in reference to the 86-87 configuration.
Old 06-20-2010, 05:36 PM

Default Re: Getting a tach to read properly (Split from: Re: Analyzing ignition misfires)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keller View Post
For clarity's sake, I guess we need to know if he is referring to the 84-85 setup (unlikely), the 86-87 setup (very likely, and I believe this is generally referred to as the Magnavox DIS, and possibly Type I), or the Type II (less likely) used in the Series II (NOT Stage II) motors. The last selection has individual coils, and can be adapted for use on our cars.

To my knowledge, the Type II does not allow the tach output lead with the green connector to function at all.

My comments were in reference to the 86-87 configuration.
Magnovox stock replacement MODULE (I don't think the coil has anything to do with the tach out) for 86-87 sold by NOS4GN and now I have lost my tach out signal under the hood behind the alternator. Anyone have a way to get this to work again with the new ignition module?? thanks.
Old 06-20-2010, 06:15 PM
GNTTYPE Founder

Exclamation Re: Getting a tach to read properly (Split from: Re: Analyzing ignition misfires)

If you are referring to their aftermarket "white box" replacement 86-87 Magnavox module, it does not generate a tach signal at the green terminal. If you look at the current information on their website, it does state this.

http://www.nos4gn.com/servlet/the-44...l-parts/Detail

While it is a great bargain replacement part, and appears to be very reliable, it does have this one deficiency. I don't believe there is anything you can do to "fix" it. Using an AC Delco part, or an alternate brand that does not have this issue is the only alternative. Not all have been deemed to be terribly reliable. Also, I believe the Borg-Warner / BWD units have been noted to have a similar deficiency in the past.

Last edited by Keller; 06-20-2010 at 06:27 PM.
Old 06-20-2010, 10:46 PM

thanks Scott.

What's interesting is you get a signal for a few seconds and it looks accurate. I didn't know if it was load issue from the tach and maybe a way around it.