GN and T-Type Performance Enthusiasts (GNTTYPE) Forums GN and T-Type Performance Enthusiasts (GNTTYPE) Forums
This is a general site search and does not include list archives.

Go Back   GN and T-Type Performance Enthusiasts (GNTTYPE) Forums > Technical Topics > Turbochargers and Intercoolers

Old 06-04-2011, 07:46 PM

cflannery6684 is on a distinguished road
Exclamation question on project

i have a 1984 buick regal t type all stock but that is changing very quickly every day between me and my friends working on it i have some plans but need some help.question #1- what is the most cost efficient way to incorperate an intercooler system since this is a "hot air " turbo car and how do you do it. and #2- what aftermarket turbo can i put on it now, then what can i install after an intercooler is on it?. i appolagize for my ignorance on turbo cars ahead of time other than these im a gear head lol. thanks for any help.
Old 06-04-2011, 11:01 PM
GNTTYPE Founder

Keller is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb Re: question on project

1) There is no simple, or bolt on way to do it. Kits that used to exist were fair at best, and no longer exist. Some involved manifold mods, reclocking the turbo, and other mild mayhem. Honestly, doing an IC on a hot air will involve a lot of improvisation, financial devastation, and possibly pain.

2) The best first step upgrade turbo is a TA33C for the hot-air cars. Talk to Precision, Limit Engineering, or another TR source. Likely to not be as cheap as a 86/87 turbo upgrade. And don't forget the fuel system and chip upgrades necessary to feed it, too.

Have your read our 84/85 "Recipes"?
Old 06-05-2011, 07:41 AM

Default Re: question on project

i have read them and i am going to be runing alky so i dont think im going to do the ic. ive looked at some injectors but how big can i run on this car before i need to exchange the comp. [how many lb] also how much of a difference is this ta33c turbo going to make and what is a good boost to push for an agressive street race car.
Old 06-05-2011, 10:02 AM
GNTTYPE Founder

Keller is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb Re: question on project

You can get 60# (and I believe 80# now as well) high impedance injectors made by MotoTron; much more fuel than you will need. Don't worry about needing to change the drivers in your ECM.

I'm not as familiar with the "hot-air" setups. On the intercooled cars, generally 20# of boost is the point at which the stock turbo is no longer efficient (provided you have the octane to feed it and keep the engine from detonation). I would think that a similar target, or slightly higher might be a good one for those cars, even with the TA33C. Maybe someone who has worked with them will chime in. There should be some data in the recipes, too.
Old 06-05-2011, 04:23 PM

Smile Re: question on project

ok thank you very much for the info i look forward to working with you and everyone else here in the future as i do now