GN and T-Type Performance Enthusiasts (GNTTYPE) Forums GN and T-Type Performance Enthusiasts (GNTTYPE) Forums
This is a general site search and does not include list archives.

Go Back   GN and T-Type Performance Enthusiasts (GNTTYPE) Forums > FAQ and General > General Turbo Regal Questions

Old 05-28-2007, 09:51 AM

WhiteCamaro88 is on a distinguished road
Default Difference between gn's

Im new to the scene but im familar with fbodys which at least doesnt make me totallly green . Im looking into getting a gn im confused tho as im hearing all different opinions. I would first like to get the models straight what is intercooled what isnt , whats a plain gn , whats gnx ?? Im looking for a late 80 's gn thats intercooled and will be in the 13's stock which model is that also is this possible for my budget which is (max 12 thousand ) any help with these questions is appreciated
Old 05-28-2007, 11:09 AM
GNTTYPE Founder

Keller is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb Re: Difference between gn's

http://www.gnttype.org/general/product.html

'78-'83 TR's - Carburated
'84-'85 TR's - Fuel injected, non intercooled
'86-'87 TR's - Fuel injected, intercooled
'87 GNX - very limited production, modified

Other items in the "Resources" pulldown such as "V6 History" and "Buyer's Guide" and others will help you learn more.

A properly tuned intercooled TR with a chip should have no problem getting into the 13's.
Old 05-28-2007, 12:15 PM

Default Re: Difference between gn's

Oh that wasnt so bad but theres alot of myths with these so i hear " you can run 13 flat bone stock " lol thats not the case. Im looking to get one for around 12k max budget what times am i looking at ?? a tr intercooled n turbo with higher mileage seems thats what is around for that penny. What does a tr 86 ot 87 run bone stock will it beat a stock lt1 in a n fbody ?
Old 05-29-2007, 09:11 AM
Whoosh

kenmosher is on a distinguished road

Bone stock, they ran 14.0s and a few at sea level with good traction would run high 13s.

Now that's almost irrelevant because:

a. Show me a "bone stock" TR ... very few that haven't been tweaked, just because it's so easy
b. Take $500 (including sticky tires) and you'll go high 12s easy. Fuel pump, regulator, chip, cold air intake, exhaust dump, good gas, some tuning ...
2012 Volkswagen Tiguan (the Tig!) Night Blue Met (sold)
2006 Trailblazer SS Red Jewel Tint 395 HP AWD (sold)
2014 Silverado LTZ Crew 4WD
2012 Honda VFR 1200F Tahitian Blue (sold)
2015 BMW S1000R Racing Red
2013 Honda CBR500R Red (wife's bike)
2014 Triumph Bonneville T100
2003 Harley Davidson V Rod Anniversary Edition
Old 05-31-2007, 09:52 AM

These cars have some serious potential then at fairly low prices . .What do these cars weight stock are they easy to do weight reduction ? How do they compare to 300zx twin turbos thanks in advance
Old 05-31-2007, 11:06 AM
GNTTYPE Founder

When I got my '87 T in '91 it was 100% stock. It ran 14.6 and weighed 3650.

Put in a chip, and ran 13.6. No other changes.

I suppose you can always do weight reduction, or find a lightly optioned car. But why not enjoy the creature comforts of a Buick?

No idea what a 300ZX TT runs.
Old 05-31-2007, 03:38 PM
Senior Contributor

Fast_t_type is on a distinguished road

Well if your not lookin to spend a lot of money you can buy an 86-87 T type. Sometimes you can get then cheaper if the people that are selling the car have know idea what there selling. Almost everyone knows what a GN is even if they don't have a total clue someone they know will. But with the T Type you might just find someone that might let it go for less. As for your goal for 13's I can tell you this. When I bought my car it had stock everything under the hood. Only the K&N air filter was done. It had a stock replacement chip. I think it was a Kenny Bell chip. No posi, BFG Drag radials on the rear. One lob missing form the cam, Stock boost about 14psi at most. Stock fuel pump. 94 octane for gas. First time ever racing a real car. Did a burn out in revers Then I got out and shut my trunk. Brook the seat bolt in the floor when I launched. Drove the car lookin mostly at the roof for half track and after all that It WENT..............14.2 YAY. So just think if the car was running 100% I would have been in the 13 the first time at the track.
Old 06-01-2007, 11:38 AM

Wow preety nice seems like good times im still confused a little t - type and tr the same thing ? and are both grand nationals ? Sorry for the questions im a noob with these models
Old 06-01-2007, 12:23 PM
GNTTYPE Founder

We refer to the T's, GN's, and GNX's as "Turbo Regals" (or "TR's") collectively as a group because they are all mechanically identical (save for the GNX in a very small way) for each given model year.
Old 06-01-2007, 05:11 PM
Senior Contributor

Fast_t_type is on a distinguished road

Sorry I should told you a little more about the difference in the cars. I was to busy laughing at my first day at the track. OK back to the the cars. I will write a little about each and after you should have a good idea about the cars.
I'll start with the Grand National. I'll give you the quick in and outs. You can get it in any color you want as long it was black. The interior came with the same choice as paint LOL. It can with black on gray with the power six logo in the center and the carpet was black. For the most part they all came the same. Not much choice on things but they look great. It was a package deal. You said you wanted a Grand National Then you got the Grand National package. You can tell its a Grand National just at a quick glance. All 3 cars came with the same hood. Not sure about the GNX. I have never seen a real GNX.
Now as for the T Type. They came like most cars. The sky was the limit with options. You even could get different colors of paint. If I remember they came in Black, what a shock, Gray, White, some silver I think and a kinda dark blue and a kinda darker shade of red. The blue and red where rare. Some even had two tone. The interior came in gray and I can't remember if there is other colors. Some even had bench seats with the sifter on the string column But the car had the same power plant as a GN. Its all the same car. Just more options. But obviously you couldn't have any of the GN options LOL
Then comes the GNX same car as the GN just a few more added options. Like fender louvers. Different dash. The turbo was all most the same just it was ceramic I think and it was a 5 link instead of a 4 like the Gn and T Type.
If I have missed something or have quoted a wrong fact just feel free to set me straight.
This should give you an idea of the cars.