GN and T-Type Performance Enthusiasts (GNTTYPE) Forums GN and T-Type Performance Enthusiasts (GNTTYPE) Forums
This is a general site search and does not include list archives.

Go Back   GN and T-Type Performance Enthusiasts (GNTTYPE) Forums > Technical Topics > Engine Electrical/Ignition

Old 06-22-2007, 10:46 PM

86GNGUY is on a distinguished road
Default cam sensor tab

Does anyone know how long the tab is supposed to be on the cam sensor cup which goes in the shaft slot to index the cup. I inspected mine and it's only about 1/8" long or less, in other words much shorter than the slot on the cup that it is part of. Should it be as long as the slot in the cup that it is a part of? Or is mine classed as broke off , which would explain lost reference for spark on #1 cylinder and blown mufflers from backfire. Any tips welcome ---86GNGUY.
Old 06-23-2007, 01:13 AM
Transplant!

socalgn is on a distinguished road
Default Re: cam sensor tab

not too sure on the length- was the reluctor screw loose, and the reluctor spinning?
Old 06-23-2007, 02:55 AM

ATTN :socalgn ----The reluctor screw was tight. I also checked the crank sensor window and there was some gunk in there from dirt oil etc. , where the balancer passes through the pickup slot. I wonder if that would throw the spark timing out.----86GNGUY
Old 06-23-2007, 03:32 AM
Transplant!

socalgn is on a distinguished road

If the crank sensor is rubbing, then the signal can become skewed and throw things off. Is the car running at all, and when does the backfire occur (rpm/boost)?
Old 06-23-2007, 11:50 AM

Attn:---Socalgn-----The backfire occurs when trying to start, when cranking it over, it sounds like it wants to start but never does , then after all that fuel is in there, " Kaboom" there goes my muffler's. I don,t understand if there is spark there , then why doesn't it lite it up at the first hint of fuel , instead of when theres all that fuel in there. I mean there must be spark or why would it backfire at all and trash my muffler's. I need to see a picture of a new cam sensor reluctor to determine how big the tab is compared to mine. Jason at RJC Racing told me they do break off, it cost him a win at Bowling Green this year, so they came up with a stainless steel one ,so it won't happen again. ------86GNGUY