GN and T-Type Performance Enthusiasts (GNTTYPE) Forums GN and T-Type Performance Enthusiasts (GNTTYPE) Forums
This is a general site search and does not include list archives.

Go Back   GN and T-Type Performance Enthusiasts (GNTTYPE) Forums > Technical Topics > Engine Mechanical

Old 08-16-2007, 02:43 PM

leescotty2001 is on a distinguished road
Default Just bought my GN, want to upgrade, need advice

Just bought my GN. I would like to get it to around 350 to 400 hp at the wheels. I dont wish to upgrade the converter yet. If I went and did the turbo upgrade, headers, MAF, Injectors, Chip, 3'' downpipe. Would that be fine on my stock block? Also I dont know which turbo/chip/injectors to order. Can anyone assist or point me in the right direction. If I did the above would I reach my goal hp rating or close to perhaps? Here is a pic of my GN

Old 08-16-2007, 03:00 PM

Jim is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Re: Just bought my GN, want to upgrade, need advice

Hey, nice car.
You are going to hear from most guys to start with the reliability mods.
Upgrading fuel pump with hot wire,adjustable fuel pressure regulator, data logging scan tool to monitor your engine's operating condition, and of course the well known "spring cleaning" which ensures everything is current and performing properly before you venture into the performance modification world, which appears to be endless.
Lots of info on this and the other TR websites to educate and guide you and
many vendors, some of them in your home state, have parts available to help you get the power you are looking for.
Have fun!
Old 08-16-2007, 05:48 PM
GNTTYPE Founder

Keller is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb Re: Just bought my GN, want to upgrade, need advice

Jim makes a good suggestion of starting with a new fuel pump and better wiring for it. A scan tool is also a must. After that, check the 'recipes' we have on this site for buildup suggestions to reach your goals.

More parts are not always the best way to go!
Old 08-16-2007, 07:41 PM

Default Re: Just bought my GN, want to upgrade, need advice

Thanks for the info guys. I will get to work reading before I make any purchases. One thing I guess I can order right now is the scanmaster 2.1.
Old 08-16-2007, 11:09 PM

Turbo6Tech84 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Turbo6Tech84

Congrats man the car looks very sharp. I am also new to the Turbo Regal community. I just recently purchases my GN in June. The best advice I can give you is read as much about these cars as you can. First few things I did to my car were scanmaster, upgraded fuel pump, the fuel pump hotwire kit, plugs, wires, cleaned out the k&n air filter, fuel filter, might I also recommend a Turbo tweak chip from Eric. Also bought a 3 inch downpipe, the old one was rusting out, I got it from gbodyparts.com very good place for GN parts. http://www.gnttype.org/maint/basics.html Check out the spring cleaning as well. Good luck and let the fun begin

Last edited by Turbo6Tech84; 08-16-2007 at 11:11 PM.
Old 08-18-2007, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo6Tech84
Congrats man the car looks very sharp. I am also new to the Turbo Regal community. I just recently purchases my GN in June. The best advice I can give you is read as much about these cars as you can. First few things I did to my car were scanmaster, upgraded fuel pump, the fuel pump hotwire kit, plugs, wires, cleaned out the k&n air filter, fuel filter, might I also recommend a Turbo tweak chip from Eric. Also bought a 3 inch downpipe, the old one was rusting out, I got it from gbodyparts.com very good place for GN parts. http://www.gnttype.org/maint/basics.html Check out the spring cleaning as well. Good luck and let the fun begin
Great, read about 2hrs. I really want to jump in a order some turbos etc.. but I do want to do it right and make sure my car is mechanically ready. I GUESS....I will start with spring cleaning Congrats on your GN purchase as well. Mine didnt have the stock wheels/tires, so I went ahead and put some 22's on it It will make it much slower but man IMO it looks really really sweet!!! Here is a pic if anyone wanted to know what they look like on 22's

Old 08-18-2007, 05:17 AM
GNTTYPE Founder

Keller is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Re: Just bought my GN, want to upgrade, need advice

This is quickly getting away from engine chat. Let's stay focused.

As other questions and areas of discussion come up, please direct them to the proper areas of the Forums.

Thanks!