GN and T-Type Performance Enthusiasts (GNTTYPE) Forums GN and T-Type Performance Enthusiasts (GNTTYPE) Forums
This is a general site search and does not include list archives.

Go Back   GN and T-Type Performance Enthusiasts (GNTTYPE) Forums > FAQ and General > General Turbo Regal Questions

Old 11-10-2014, 06:30 PM

racemd is on a distinguished road
Default 82 Buick Regal question

All, picked up a 82 buick regal and wanted to know if I can put a 84-87 T/GN dash in it, it has the old grandma dash. Here is a list of things I would like to update, please let me know if its plug and play

1. Dash Board Cluster < speedo/fuel etc.. From what I can tell 78 to 83 which I have is not interchangeable but wanted to ask
2. Tail Lights
3. I have a pair of 87 GTA rim black - 2xFront/2xRear, If my understanding is correct, put fronts on rear and use 1/2 spaced for rears put on front.

Just in case you wanted to know the power plant - 327 with Double Humps, Single plane performer with 750 Holley, long tubes, GN 3:42 rear and T-350 trans.

Last edited by racemd; 11-10-2014 at 10:58 PM.
Old 11-14-2014, 09:37 AM
GNTTYPE Founder

Keller is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb Re: 82 Buick Regal question

1) Your host has malware on it. You can upload pics to this site, but may need to downsize them from that size.

2) You can do that with the wheels, but running 4 fronts is best. Spacers always can pose a risk for how secure the wheels are attached.

4) Not sure about the dash. May require the dash harness be replaced, too. Since you have no computer on the motor, all that really needs to be connected is the speedo, fuel sender, alt circuit, brake warning light, and dash lights. Perhaps the oil pressure warning.

5) While you are trying to update, why not search for a 84-87 header panel and grille? You will need the newer filler panels, too.

4) Replace the 327 with a Buick 455 and you will be much happier.
Old 11-14-2014, 01:15 PM

racemd is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 82 Buick Regal question

Thanks for the malware alert, I fixed that, a facebook link apparently did it from a post I did last month. I thought about changing the header to a 84 to 87 but kinda like the appearance at least for now. I'll look into the dash panel but I believe you are correct, in 84 and up they had that plastic and copper thing on the back and used a different connection. Im going to go with the GTA rims that I have for now, only plan to street them and then use the welds at the track so a 1/4 to 1/2 spacer shouldn't be a huge issue if I use the correct lugs.