GN and T-Type Performance Enthusiasts (GNTTYPE) Forums GN and T-Type Performance Enthusiasts (GNTTYPE) Forums
This is a general site search and does not include list archives.

Go Back   GN and T-Type Performance Enthusiasts (GNTTYPE) Forums > Technical Topics > Suspension/Rear Ends

Old 07-06-2013, 03:18 AM
Senior Contributor

Shawn N is on a distinguished road
Default Rear Pinion Snubber?

I bought one of those aftermarket 3" pinion snubbers because the one on the car was pretty beat up. My question is the block one the left of the picture does not look like it is OEM and was added to the car, am I correct in thinking so? The old snubber was attached to the top of it and I did not reuse it with the new one.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	001.jpg
Views:	618
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	3044  
Old 07-06-2013, 07:07 AM
GNTTYPE Founder

Keller is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Re: Rear Pinion Snubber?

That looks like a stock snubber with a section of boxed steel to extend it so it would actually provide traction benefits.

Not sure what size the snubber you installed was, but if the overall height was not at least the size of what has been installed overall, it won't provide much help. The stock one was very short (as you can see), and extending it or replacing it with a taller unit is a good way to keep the rear U-joint from binding and aids in eliminating "axle tramp" or wheel hop on a hard launch.
Old 07-06-2013, 11:24 AM
Senior Contributor

Default Re: Rear Pinion Snubber?

It's 1/2" longer than the old one. I did not remember that boxed piece being there on the other TR's I had.
Old 07-06-2013, 11:47 AM
GNTTYPE Founder

Keller is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb Re: Rear Pinion Snubber?

That is because it is not factory. As I stated, it appears to have been added to move the stock pinion snubber down for more aggressive contact to the nose of the rear end as it rises.

I made more aggressive snubber by using a similar boxed section of steel, threading it to take a bumper with a threaded end, and holes to use the stock bolts to hold it to the frame. And painting it to resist rust, of course.

The bumper I used was probably an Energy Suspension poly piece, something like their 9.9101. But a black one, so as not to be "ricer-like".
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bumpstop.jpg
Views:	572
Size:	14.0 KB
ID:	3045  
Old 07-06-2013, 12:34 PM
Senior Contributor

Very good then Mr. Keller. Funny that the ricer next store just started his car as I typed this
Old 07-06-2013, 01:15 PM

charlief1 is on a distinguished road

An extended snubber will aid traction to some degree but once you get going really fast it will cause problems. The suspension is designed to move up and down so when you stop that movement you may get better traction on launch, but this can also keep weight transfer from happening properly when you get in the 11's. The weight transfer is critical to get a proper launch. If you really want to get good traction you need to scale the car to find out where the weight is in the car so you can adjust it.

Once you find out where the weight is then you need to plot the position of the instant center (IC) for the rear arms. You can change the IC several ways and this aids in weight transfer to improve your launch. If you want to learn about plotting the IC location there are several sites that have the method as well as calculators. One of them is baseline suspensions and it has all the info you might need to set a chassis up.
Old 07-08-2013, 04:37 PM
Whoosh

kenmosher is on a distinguished road

To echo what Charlie is talking about ... I experimented with the Lower control arm relocators back in the day (after all sorts of modeling the IC).

Hurt my sixty foot consistently because at the time the car didn't hit the tire hard enough (1.65 ish short times and low 12s).

I think the best set up is probably the adjustable upper arms to set IC ... more consistent and probably easier to tune in.

That all said, my car went 1.49-1.53 short times all day long on a good hooking track with just boxed lowers and a tiny bit of air in the air bags to keep it from squatting too much.
2012 Volkswagen Tiguan (the Tig!) Night Blue Met (sold)
2006 Trailblazer SS Red Jewel Tint 395 HP AWD (sold)
2014 Silverado LTZ Crew 4WD
2012 Honda VFR 1200F Tahitian Blue (sold)
2015 BMW S1000R Racing Red
2013 Honda CBR500R Red (wife's bike)
2014 Triumph Bonneville T100
2003 Harley Davidson V Rod Anniversary Edition
Old 07-08-2013, 08:07 PM
Senior Contributor

Thanks for the info guys! I was just double checking that it was a add on piece and that I did not need to reuse it with the new snubber.
Old 07-08-2013, 08:15 PM

charlief1 is on a distinguished road

Since you're not that far from me I've got an option you might want to try. Several years ago HR parts & stuff came out with a rear axle mounted sway bar for the back. The advantage of this is that the bar is attached to the axle and the frame, which ties them together. You can adjust it for preload so you don't have to use air bags.

What I've got is the poor mans version of this. A rear bar off an S-10 blazer which can be set up the same and it's a very inexpensive option. I've got 2 of them and only need 1 so if you want to come down we can set it up on your car and see how you like it. If you like it them we can talk $, and if not we can take it off.
Old 07-08-2013, 08:22 PM
Senior Contributor

I have a 99 GMC Jimmy and it seems half of would fit on the TR lol!