GN and T-Type Performance Enthusiasts (GNTTYPE) Forums GN and T-Type Performance Enthusiasts (GNTTYPE) Forums
This is a general site search and does not include list archives.

Go Back   GN and T-Type Performance Enthusiasts (GNTTYPE) Forums > Technical Topics > Suspension/Rear Ends

Old 04-13-2015, 03:50 PM
Senior Contributor

JAMIEPACURN is on a distinguished road
Default Step by Step directions with pictures on how to remove your Axles

Thought I would post some pictures in case anyone wants to remove their axles from the rear end. This is pretty simple and can be done in about 20-30 minutes. Here are some pictures and hope this helps someone out in the future.

Name:  REAR COVER.jpg
Views: 1456
Size:  91.6 KB
Step one: Jack up the rear of your car and place jack stands in safe manner. Remove both rear tires and rear brake drums exposing the axles. Next, remove your 10 bolts/allen screws and drain out all differential oil from rear end. Have a pan underneath the rear end to catch all the oil draining out of it.

Name:  8mm bolt removal.jpg
Views: 1743
Size:  58.8 KB
Step 2: In this step you have to turn your ring gear to find the small bolt that goes through the center pin. In this photo you will see the horizontal bolt (8mm) as well as the shiny vertical pin. Be very careful when removing the 8mm bolt as you don't want to strip this out. Once bolt is out, you will need to turn the carriage to remove the shiny center pin.

Name:  axle view.jpg
Views: 1325
Size:  92.3 KB
Step 3: In this view, you can't see the center pin so you have to turn the ring gear until you see the shiny pin. However, in this photo you can see the two horizontal axles coming in from the sides into the housing unit.

Name:  center pin.jpg
Views: 1218
Size:  74.1 KB
Step 4: After you rotate the carriage you will then see the center pin. This pin can only come out from the top or bottom of the carriage. The trick is to rotate the carriage in such a way that you can remove the pin completely without hitting the differential case. Some pins will come out with ease but mine had to be gently tapped out with a 13mm extension socket. Just take your time when removing the pin. EXTREMELY EXTREMELY IMPORTANT. ONCE PIN IS REMOVED DO NOT TURN THE RING GEAR UNLESS YOU WANT YOUR SPIDER GEARS TO MOVE OUT OF POSITION!!! Just leave the carriage in the position you removed the center pin.

Name:  center pin removed.jpg
Views: 1362
Size:  128.6 KB

Step 5: Once center pin is out go and push in on the hub of your axle. Your axle should move in about 2-3 inches with ease. Now look inside your differential cover and you will see your axle being held in by a "C-clip". This c-clip has to be removed then your axle will slide right on out. Once you remove the axle on one side, go and repeat process on the other hub of the axle. Some people use a screwdriver to remove the c-clips. I just used a powerful telescopic magnet to remove mine. Name:  removing c-clip.jpg
Views: 1333
Size:  107.8 KB

Name:  axle removed.jpg
Views: 1258
Size:  122.3 KB

Hopefully, if you followed these instructions you should see your axle now. Important thing is to inspect the axle to make sure there is no wear especially where the bearings ride on the axle. If you have to come this far this would be a great time to remove your axle seals and inner bearings using a slide hammer. You can expect to pay about $20 TO $30 for new seals and bearings. I decided to purchase Moser axles, seals, and bearings for mine which came to about $340.00. I hope these instructions helps someone out and saves you a lot of money. Just remember to not forget and fill differential housing with new gear oil and torque the nuts to specs. Congratulations on the job you done. Be proud and have peace of mind knowing your keeping you and your family safe in your pride and joy!!!!

Jamie C.

Last edited by JAMIEPACURN; 04-16-2015 at 02:50 AM. Reason: SPELLING
Old 04-15-2015, 01:12 PM
Whoosh

kenmosher is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Step by Step directions with pictures on how to remove your Axles

Nice step by step ... good job!
2012 Volkswagen Tiguan (the Tig!) Night Blue Met (sold)
2006 Trailblazer SS Red Jewel Tint 395 HP AWD (sold)
2014 Silverado LTZ Crew 4WD
2012 Honda VFR 1200F Tahitian Blue (sold)
2015 BMW S1000R Racing Red
2013 Honda CBR500R Red (wife's bike)
2014 Triumph Bonneville T100
2003 Harley Davidson V Rod Anniversary Edition
Old 04-15-2015, 02:58 PM
Senior Contributor

larrym is on a distinguished road

Well done!
Turbonetics BB CPT 61
CAS V4 Stretch Intercooler
Alcohol Injection
4 inch MAF pipe with integral sensor
2800 stall
lots of fun with a little 6 banger!
Best ET 11.43
Old 04-15-2015, 09:44 PM
Senior Contributor

JAMIEPACURN is on a distinguished road

Thanks guys, just trying to help others out. Sometimes those pictures are worth a 1,000 words. I know people have really helped me out on this site when I first started as a newbie trying to figure out these cars. Glad to be a part of the Buick community.

Jamie C.
Old 04-23-2015, 09:09 AM
GNTTYPE Founder

Keller is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Re: Step by Step directions with pictures on how to remove your Axles

Thread "stuck" for reference.