GN and T-Type Performance Enthusiasts (GNTTYPE) Forums GN and T-Type Performance Enthusiasts (GNTTYPE) Forums
This is a general site search and does not include list archives.

Go Back   GN and T-Type Performance Enthusiasts (GNTTYPE) Forums > Technical Topics > The Early Years - 1978 - 1983 Carb'ed Turbo Cars

Old 06-20-2013, 04:46 PM

charlief1 is on a distinguished road
Default Carb Turbo Racing Association.

Some of us have talked about doing something like this before and I know there's more out there that might join if we, as a group, decide to actually start something like this. As a possible other name it could also be called the Carb Turbo Association for Racing & Performance, or CTARP. Not the most interesting name I know but I thought a little brainstorming about this might be fun and lead to a possible group that would be able to provide info on draw through and blow through systems in general as well as more recognition for our sadly ignored designs and systems.

Basic rules would of course be, it has to be about turbo-ed engines, either running a draw through or blow through carb turbo system, and automotive based. That would keep the tech mostly for street legal or race cars and not be some of the interesting "creations" that are out there. One of the other reasons for this is to be able to get some discounts on parts and assistance hopefully from after market sources.

I'd like to hear from others on this before I even try doing it. I was thinking about starting a facebook page just for this and see if others would want to join up. Doesn't matter if it's a Ford, Chevy, Chrysler, or even an import. It's about sharing info on the designs and helping each other out.

Last edited by charlief1; 06-20-2013 at 08:47 PM.
Old 06-20-2013, 04:57 PM
GNTTYPE Founder

Keller is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Re: Carb Turbo Racing Association.

I think it is a good idea. Trying to get a group of like-minded folks together with an older technology that does not have huge numbers in any camp these days.
Old 06-20-2013, 05:00 PM
GNTTYPE Founder

Wink Re: Carb Turbo Racing Association.

Why not Carburteted Racing Association for Performance Turbos or something like that:
Old 06-20-2013, 06:13 PM

Default Re: Carb Turbo Racing Association.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keller View Post
I think it is a good idea. Trying to get a group of like-minded folks together with an older technology that does not have huge numbers in any camp these days.
Thanks for the approval Scott. This started several years ago over at TB.com and it never really went anywhere. Now that the 301 guys are really starting to experiment with their cars and we now have a B4black car in the 11's it's time to start trying to get everyone together. There's even new controllers available to replace the original Turbo Control Center as well as the now discontinued knock sensor. It reacts faster and will control timing for each individual cylinder as well as ramp the timing for each gear change and pound of boost.

Quote:
Why not Carburteted Racing Association for Performance Turbos or something like that:
I'll remember that for later Scott. CRAPT!
Old 06-20-2013, 06:28 PM
GNTTYPE Founder

Question Re: Carb Turbo Racing Association.

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlief1 View Post
There's even new controllers available to replace the original Turbo Control Center as well as the now discontinued knock sensor. It reacts faster and will control timing for each individual cylinder as well as ramp the timing for each gear change and pound of boost.
Tell us more! Haven't heard much about this.
Old 06-20-2013, 08:46 PM

Default Re: Carb Turbo Racing Association.

Quote:
Tell us more! Haven't heard much about this.
The company is J&S Electronics and their system is called the SafeGuard unit. It has 3 different designs that can be used for distributors, DIS systems, and COP systems. The systems are supposed to be pretty much fool proof and do a lot more than the stock systems. They aren't cheap but if we can get a group together then we can get a discount on them. They were available in 91 but now that some of these new systems are taking off they've become more advanced and can control things much better.

http://jandssafeguard.com/