GN and T-Type Performance Enthusiasts (GNTTYPE) Forums GN and T-Type Performance Enthusiasts (GNTTYPE) Forums
This is a general site search and does not include list archives.

Go Back   GN and T-Type Performance Enthusiasts (GNTTYPE) Forums > Technical Topics > Brakes

Old 10-30-2014, 03:40 PM

knelson53 is on a distinguished road
Default Question about Powermaster parts diagram

Do parts 36, 37, and 38 actually fit in the order shown in the diagram? I took mine apart and the spring was in the middle with the poppet facing inward toward the MC body? Intuitively this doesn't seem correct, and the diagram arrangement as shown is what I would expect to be correct. Maybe that has something to do with the problems I have been having. I had the brakes serviced a couple of years ago, and have only driven the car a couple hundred miles since - all about 10 miles at a time, so I may not have seen the effects of this piece being in backwards for some time.
Old 11-14-2014, 09:24 AM
GNTTYPE Founder

Keller is on a distinguished road
Question Re: PowerMaster parts diagram ...

Is your PM an original, or a rebuilt one? (to the best of your knowledge)
Old 11-14-2014, 02:59 PM

Default Re: PowerMaster parts diagram ...

I had some work done on it the first time the brakes went out, but i think that was just replacing the ball. The master Cylinder appears to be the original one, and i have had the car for 22 years. It has low mileage (54,000) and only gets driven a few hundred miles a year. If someone took these parts out to bleed the pump and motor and reassembled them in the wrong order, it might be what caused the pump to run continuously and eventually burn out the armature. I am having the EH pump and motor rebuilt now, and hope it comes back operational from a local Auto electric shop. When i took these parts put they came out, 1) Inlet ferrule, 2) Spring, 3) poppet. As a mechanical engineer I can see where this arrangement would not allow for fluid flow from the pump to the MC and then to the brake lines, so I am convinced the illustration is correct. I am also a bit miffed as to how the assembly was put back together the wrong way!
Old 12-27-2014, 05:02 PM

Motor was rebuilt and benched ok. All electrical connections in step three check out, except continuity between terminal connection A of the pressure switch and D of the motor. (Both harness connection and part terminal connections checked) Even with the Parking brake released and the electrical connector disconnected from the combination valve. The motor doesn't run with the ignition on at all. Fluid doesn't change in the reservoir. Ball and pressure switch are new. Does this suggest that the MC needs to be rebuilt too?
Old 12-29-2014, 11:57 AM
Whoosh

kenmosher is on a distinguished road

Damn ... that's what it's sounding like. Something the MC itself might be leaking or assembly is jammed.
2012 Volkswagen Tiguan (the Tig!) Night Blue Met (sold)
2006 Trailblazer SS Red Jewel Tint 395 HP AWD (sold)
2014 Silverado LTZ Crew 4WD
2012 Honda VFR 1200F Tahitian Blue (sold)
2015 BMW S1000R Racing Red
2013 Honda CBR500R Red (wife's bike)
2014 Triumph Bonneville T100
2003 Harley Davidson V Rod Anniversary Edition
Old 12-29-2014, 03:30 PM

Thanks for hanging with me on this Ken. I am learning a lot more about this system than I ever really wanted to know. It's an engineering marvel, but not a practical system for everyday use in cars - fast ones or slow ones. Once I nuke it all out, I'll let you know what I've found, so other may learn from it, but I will say that it's important that there be no current in the wires when checking for continuity (ohms). Too, the scale of the meter can affect the reading (probably most car guys know this), and finally, just because a part works on the bench doesn't mean it works when installed!

I think one of the more frustrating challenges is not being able to get replacement parts like the E/H pump and motor.
Old 12-29-2014, 03:38 PM
Whoosh

kenmosher is on a distinguished road

I thought someone was making repro PowerMaster parts (the motor and switch arrangement)? Somebody like NOS GN or G-Body parts? This was a few years ago, so I don't remember how that all ended up.

BTW, the lack of current in the wiring ... have you check the pressure switch (top of the unit)? Wonder if it's bad?
2012 Volkswagen Tiguan (the Tig!) Night Blue Met (sold)
2006 Trailblazer SS Red Jewel Tint 395 HP AWD (sold)
2014 Silverado LTZ Crew 4WD
2012 Honda VFR 1200F Tahitian Blue (sold)
2015 BMW S1000R Racing Red
2013 Honda CBR500R Red (wife's bike)
2014 Triumph Bonneville T100
2003 Harley Davidson V Rod Anniversary Edition
Old 01-03-2015, 10:16 AM

I'll check it again! Only E/H motors available these days are from private owners who are converting or junk yard parts. No aftermarket as far as I can tell. I have two switches, as they are still available so I will go through all the diagnostics again to be sure all parts are functional. Thanks again. K