GN and T-Type Performance Enthusiasts (GNTTYPE) Forums GN and T-Type Performance Enthusiasts (GNTTYPE) Forums
This is a general site search and does not include list archives.

Go Back   GN and T-Type Performance Enthusiasts (GNTTYPE) Forums > Technical Topics > Birds of Prey - 1989 Turbo Trans Ams

Old 02-26-2014, 06:35 PM

sugar80 is on a distinguished road
Default Turbo ta

I have a turbo trans am I bought 12 years ago and started to tear apart then bought grand national. Know nothing about ta it has burnt orange interior with the Ricardo bucket seats. Is this 89 ta. White with black bird. Would like some info on car. Thanks
Old 02-26-2014, 06:55 PM
GNTTYPE Founder

Keller is on a distinguished road
Question Re: Turbo ta

Can you post any pictures?

The '89 Turbo Trans Ams were all white, with tan interiors. Most had T-Tops, some did not. Most had leather seats, some did not. They all have a motor and trans that is the same as the 1986/1987 cars, save for different heads and headers to fit better in the narrow engine bay.

You mentioned Recaro (I believe) seats. I think earlier years might have had those as an option. See http://www.transamworld.com/fbird-history-php3.php
Old 02-26-2014, 09:47 PM

Default Re: Turbo ta

Ok now gettin a little somewhere. Thanks for the info.
Old 02-26-2014, 09:51 PM

Was there something called nascar edition ta. The reason interest in car is I had to move from my garage to storage area so I acctually saw car for first time in like 7 years. I also used to own 10th anniversary ta long time ago
Old 02-26-2014, 09:55 PM

I know it's a turbo car with three lights on hood white with black bird ricarro seats wheels painted white, fins in the wheels. Guess need get numbers and check out
Old 02-27-2014, 08:28 AM

Evans Ward is on a distinguished road

That sounds like possibly a 1981 Turbo Trans Am. Is it the same body style as was your 10th anniv TA? The one I'm thinking of had white painted wheels like the 10th anniv TA did. I think they also made a NASCAR edition in the body style that came next (82 revamp) possibly in 1983. That body style was same as the 89 TTA.
Old 02-27-2014, 11:06 AM
GNTTYPE Founder

Keller is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Re: Turbo ta

I would note that none of the TAs mentioned, other than the '89 Turbo Trans Am (Indianapolis Pace Car units) were powered by the turbo Buick V6. The earlier turbo TAs were powered by a carbureted Pontiac 301 V8. As such, those are out of the interest of this forum.