GN and T-Type Performance Enthusiasts (GNTTYPE) Forums GN and T-Type Performance Enthusiasts (GNTTYPE) Forums
This is a general site search and does not include list archives.

Go Back   GN and T-Type Performance Enthusiasts (GNTTYPE) Forums > Technical Topics > Engine Mechanical

Old 09-30-2015, 03:40 PM
Senior Contributor

JAMIEPACURN is on a distinguished road
Default Ticking Noise Diagnosis

Recently, when driving my Buick I hear a loud ticking noise that gets faster as the accelerator is pressed to the floor. The car has plenty of power and no codes present on scan master. This ticking noise is sporadic which might last 10 minutes then goes away on its own. I recently poured some "Marvelous Magic Oil" into the car when I heard the ticking sound. It was about 30 seconds while the car was running the ticking noise stopped instantly and didn't hear the ticking sound for 4 days. Last night, the ticking sound started again and last 5 minutes while driving but then went away. I'm leaning towards a bad lifter but not 100% sure so thought I would ask the Buick community for help. Any thoughts on the ticking sound???

Furthermore, if this is a lifter issue can these be changed out without removing the heads???? The heads on my car are the stock heads. I just can't remember if there would be any accesses to these lifters.

Jamie C.
Old 10-06-2015, 02:51 PM
Whoosh

kenmosher is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Ticking Noise Diagnosis

I would point to a sticky lifter ... especially since it seemed to change behavior after you poured in the MM oil.

However, as part of due diligence, I'd check:
  • Crank sensor clearance ... be sure it's not loose or the rubber elastomer in the balancer isn't shot (and causing it to hit the interrupter ring)
  • Check torque converter bolts to make sure you aren't hearing the flex plate
  • Check for clearance in the valve cover to rocker area ... I once had a mysterious tick that came and went at random and finally traced it down to a rocker juuuuust kissing the inside of the valve cover. (I had 1.65 rockers and spacers)
2012 Volkswagen Tiguan (the Tig!) Night Blue Met (sold)
2006 Trailblazer SS Red Jewel Tint 395 HP AWD (sold)
2014 Silverado LTZ Crew 4WD
2012 Honda VFR 1200F Tahitian Blue (sold)
2015 BMW S1000R Racing Red
2013 Honda CBR500R Red (wife's bike)
2014 Triumph Bonneville T100
2003 Harley Davidson V Rod Anniversary Edition
Old 10-06-2015, 06:06 PM
Senior Contributor

Thanks Ken I will check those things out that you mentioned. If this does turn out to be a "sticking valve" is there a way to replace them with a special tool with the heads still on the car or does this require pulling both heads and intake to get to them???? I'd hate to have to tear half the motor apart to replace them but if its the only way then I guess I got no choice or just rebuild the whole darn motor. Thank you for the information you provided.

Jamie C.
Old 10-06-2015, 06:14 PM
Whoosh

kenmosher is on a distinguished road

If it's a lifter (not a valve) ... it's a PITA, but you can pull the intake manifold and get to the lifters (after removing the rockers and pushrods).

If it's a valve, you have a lot more problems and you're looking at just pulling the motor and doing a refresh (easier than doing it in the car).

IF it's a camshaft, that can be done with the engine in the car, but it's almost easier to do it with the motor out.
2012 Volkswagen Tiguan (the Tig!) Night Blue Met (sold)
2006 Trailblazer SS Red Jewel Tint 395 HP AWD (sold)
2014 Silverado LTZ Crew 4WD
2012 Honda VFR 1200F Tahitian Blue (sold)
2015 BMW S1000R Racing Red
2013 Honda CBR500R Red (wife's bike)
2014 Triumph Bonneville T100
2003 Harley Davidson V Rod Anniversary Edition
Old 10-08-2015, 04:16 AM
Senior Contributor

Thanks Ken. Sounds like no matter which way I go with this it sounds like its going to be a pain in the ass regardless not to mention the money to fix it. Huge Sigh!

Last edited by JAMIEPACURN; 10-08-2015 at 04:17 AM. Reason: forgot a word