GN and T-Type Performance Enthusiasts (GNTTYPE) Forums GN and T-Type Performance Enthusiasts (GNTTYPE) Forums
This is a general site search and does not include list archives.

Go Back   GN and T-Type Performance Enthusiasts (GNTTYPE) Forums > Technical Topics > Brakes

Old 08-01-2015, 02:25 PM

Canmove is on a distinguished road
Question converting powermaster to hydro boost questions

Well my brakes took a **** again 87 GN with 26K original miles.
I'm going to ditch the power master brake set up to a hydro boost because i plan on doing some mods to the motor and i read if i plan on doing that to stay away from the vacuum assisted because i will not have sufficient vacuum.. If i was gonna keep motor stock i would be fine with vacuum.
Is this correct info?? Am i making the right choice..
I was on Kirban's sight looking at the prices for the conversion units and the hydro is about double the price of the $350 for vacuum and about $650 for the hydro set up. Is there anywhere cheaper that i can get complete conversion kits?
I also am curious if anyone else that's reading this could tell me what i should expect price wise to get this hydro kit and have it installed.. basically what did you guys pay to have the conversion done..

Thanks for your time...
Richard
Old 09-04-2015, 03:28 AM
Senior Contributor

JAMIEPACURN is on a distinguished road
Default Re: converting powermaster to hydro boost questions

You made a solid choice in getting rid of the PowerBooster. I just did the same to my T-Type this year in June coverting it to the Hydroboost system. You might check G-body parts to compare prices. Also take a look at this link http://www.powerbrakeservice.net. This is where I got mine but I got the chrome unit, mastercylinder chrome, along with chrome brake lines and spent $1200 for the unit. You can actually do this yourself which will save you a lot of money. If you don't want to do this it just depends on what shop you take your car. Most places charge anywhere $65-85.hr just for shop labor.

Furthermore, there are 4 videos you can watch on YOUTUBE that will show you how to install this system. In the search engine on youtube type the following: Turbo Buick pt.1 Powermaster to Hydroboost performance brake conversion As stated, just make sure to watch all 4 videos. If you needed help I could send you photos of my set up just in case you ran into problems.

Hope this helps you out. Ride safe out there.

Jamie C.
Old 10-16-2015, 12:49 AM

mikeelia is on a distinguished road
Default Re: converting powermaster to hydro boost questions

I bought the whole hydroboost setup from Hydratech. I paid a little extra to get the body of the thing prefinished black as well.

I've had a lot of Powermasters in this car [I've had it since the early 90's] and I swore I wouldn't do that again.

Finally, the car stops!!!

One observation is that it whines a bit, mostly from the powersteering pump 'hum' that gets transmitted thru the fire wall as that system is now connected to the brake booster. Hydratech said it should lessen as 'micro air bubbles' work their way out. And be sure to use the synthetic [or whatever] fluid your vendor recommends [I did] so that issue can be avoided as an excuse for noise or other issues.

As I said, the car FINALLY has solid brakes [novel for me as it is the first time since I owned my first turbo Regal in 1987] that the brakes feel trustworthy.