GN and T-Type Performance Enthusiasts (GNTTYPE) Forums GN and T-Type Performance Enthusiasts (GNTTYPE) Forums
This is a general site search and does not include list archives.

Go Back   GN and T-Type Performance Enthusiasts (GNTTYPE) Forums > Add-on Electronics and Electrical > General Electrical

Old 08-26-2005, 02:18 PM

ROW87GN is on a distinguished road
Bang Head Will Not Start!!!!!

WELL MY NIGHTMARES HAVE ALREADY STARTED AND I HAVE NOT HAD A CHANCE TO DRIVE THE MY "NEW" 87 GN !!!! I JUST BOUGHT THE CAR ABOUT A WEEK AGO AND TODAY I TOLD MY GIRLFRIEND TO GO AND START THE CAR- WILL NOT START BECAUSE OF THE BATTERY-SENT HER TO GET A NEW BATTERY- STILL WILL NOT START!!!! HINT, SHE STATED THAT ALL THE LIGHTS ARE COMING ON AND THE COOLING FAN WAS ON!!!! THE FAN SHOULDNT BE - FAN RELAY SWITCH IS BAD PERHAPS!!!! STILL THE CAR WILL NOT START I NEED TO GET THIS CAR STARTED!!! I HAD MADE PLANS TO DROP THE CAR OFF WITH PAUL "SOUTHEAST TURBO" TO GET SOME WORK DONE ON THE CAR. CAN ANYONE PLEASE HELP ME WITH THIS PROBLEM!!!! IS ANYONE IN THE ATLANTA AREA THAT CAN HELP ME WITH THIS PROBLEM!!! IAM IN IRAQ RIGHT NOW AND I NEED TO HAVE THIS PROBLEM FIXED SO I CAN HAVE THE CAR LIKE I WANT IT BEFORE I GET HOME ON R&R- ITS ONE OF THE FEW THINGS THAT KEEP ME SANE OVER HERE IN THIS JUNGLE!!!! THANKS FOR ANY HELP!!!!
Old 08-26-2005, 02:25 PM
GNTTYPE Founder

Keller is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Re: Will Not Start!!!!!

Remember that you had posted that it would only start in neutral previously?

Have her work the gearshift around a bit - both in park and in neutral - while trying to start it. If that won't work, have her manipulate the 'collar' where a column shift would be. That should spin when the shift lever is moving, but I think yours has a problem. When it is in the right position, the car should start. This is **probably** a neutral safety switch problem.

If not, it could be a LOT of things...

Be careful out there...
Old 08-26-2005, 02:53 PM

Default Re: Will Not Start!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keller
Remember that you had posted that it would only start in neutral previously?

Have her work the gearshift around a bit - both in park and in neutral - while trying to start it. If that won't work, have her manipulate the 'collar' where a column shift would be. That should spin when the shift lever is moving, but I think yours has a problem. When it is in the right position, the car should start. This is **probably** a neutral safety switch problem.

If not, it could be a LOT of things...

Be careful out there...
THANKS FOR YOUR HELP!!! CAN YOU PLEASE GIVE MY GIRLFRIEND A CALL AT 404 423 2065 AND COACH HER ON TRYING TO START THE CAR???? HER NAME IS LELE -- THANKS ALOT
Old 08-26-2005, 03:01 PM

Question Re: Will Not Start!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROW87GN
THANKS FOR YOUR HELP!!! CAN YOU PLEASE GIVE MY GIRLFRIEND A CALL AT 404 423 2065 AND COACH HER ON TRYING TO START THE CAR???? HER NAME IS LELE -- THANKS ALOT

IAM VERY FRUSTRATED AT THIS POINT!!! THIS IS A BAD SIGN TO START OFF WITH A GRAND NATIONAL!!! THIS CAR MIGHT BE FOR SALE IN A DAY OR TWO!!! I GUESS I WILL HAVE TO GO BACK TO 5.0'S AT LEAST YOU CAN GET THEM TO START UP!!! IAM STARTING TO DISLIKE GN AND THAT'S NOT A GOOD SIGN FOR ME!!! I GUESS SO CLOSE YET SO FAR IS THE CASE AT HAND FOR ME
Old 08-26-2005, 03:11 PM

Angry Re: Will Not Start!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROW87GN
IAM VERY FRUSTRATED AT THIS POINT!!! THIS IS A BAD SIGN TO START OFF WITH A GRAND NATIONAL!!! THIS CAR MIGHT BE FOR SALE IN A DAY OR TWO!!! I GUESS I WILL HAVE TO GO BACK TO 5.0'S AT LEAST YOU CAN GET THEM TO START UP!!! IAM STARTING TO DISLIKE GN AND THAT'S NOT A GOOD SIGN FOR ME!!! I GUESS SO CLOSE YET SO FAR IS THE CASE AT HAND FOR ME

I THINK IAM GOING TO SELL THE D**N THING !!! ANYONE INTERESTED IN A 87GN IN GA. ?????
Old 08-26-2005, 04:18 PM
GNTTYPE Founder

Keller is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Re: Will Not Start!!!!!

Just spent 20 minutes on the line with your lady. Could not get it started.

The shifter moves with no detent action. The fan coming on is likely a "feature" in the chip, given its behavior.

This may be indicative of an adjustment problem in the shift linkage or neutral safety switch adjustment. The collar is moving with the shifter, so it is working to some extent. Just not 100% right.

Please remember, you have a ~18 year old car. Its not new. Unless its been untouched and living in a garage all its life, it will need some TLC. If you'd rather have a 5.0, please buy one instead and let a more deserving soul fight the battles of an old TR. If you want to put up with a few things that need attention, you will reap the benefits and earn the envy of everyone that does not have one.

I suggest dropping Paul at SE Turbo a line to plot the next move. I'm sure he can help work this out.
Old 08-26-2005, 04:39 PM

Default Re: Will Not Start!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keller
Just spent 20 minutes on the line with your lady. Could not get it started.

The shifter moves with no detent action. The fan coming on is likely a "feature" in the chip, given its behavior.

This may be indicative of an adjustment problem in the shift linkage or neutral safety switch adjustment. The collar is moving with the shifter, so it is working to some extent. Just not 100% right.

Please remember, you have a ~18 year old car. Its not new. Unless its been untouched and living in a garage all its life, it will need some TLC. If you'd rather have a 5.0, please buy one instead and let a more deserving soul fight the battles of an old TR. If you want to put up with a few things that need attention, you will reap the benefits and earn the envy of everyone that does not have one.

I suggest dropping Paul at SE Turbo a line to plot the next move. I'm sure he can help work this out.

THANKS FOR TAKING THE TIME TO TRY AND HELP ME KELLER!!! I REALLY APPREICATE YOUR HELP!!! THE CAR NOT STARTING IS HOLDING ME BACK OR SHOULD I SAY MY GIRL, SHE TOOK THE DAY OFF FROM WORK TO GO GET INSURANCE AND EMISSIONS TEST. HOWEVER, THE CAR NOT STARTING PREVENTS ME FROM A EMISSIONS TEST AND GETTING MY TAG FOR THE CAR.PAUL'S SHOP IS AN HOUR AWAY SO TOWING IS GOING TO BE EXPENSIVE TO SAY THE LEAST !!! IAM STILL GOING TO GET A OLD AND RELIABLE 5.0 !!! AS FOR THE BUICK, ITS UP IN THE AIR AS FAR AS ME KEEPING THE CAR. TRUE THE CAR IS 18YRS OLD AND I EXPECT TO HAVE SOME MINOR PROBLEMS ON THAT FACT ALONE. I STILL MY FIRST EXPERIENCE WITH A GN IS NOT GOOD- AT ALL!!!! MAYBE I WILL LET SOMEONE ELSE HAVE THE GRADITUDE OF OWNING A "TURBO REGAL" BECAUSE SEEMS LIKE I HAVE ACQUIRED A HEADACHE IN THE MAKING