GN and T-Type Performance Enthusiasts (GNTTYPE) Forums GN and T-Type Performance Enthusiasts (GNTTYPE) Forums
This is a general site search and does not include list archives.

Go Back   GN and T-Type Performance Enthusiasts (GNTTYPE) Forums > Technical Topics > Fuel Systems

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-15-2009, 07:08 AM

Kahn35 is on a distinguished road
Default Regarding sound of Weldon fuel pump on GN/T-Type

Hello!

I am a long time GN/T-Type lover. I have never owned one but had the chance to test drive one several years ago and I've yet to experience another car like it.

To the point, I am in need of some advice. I am researching a very specific setup on a turbo regal for a sound/media project and I would like to know what I could realistically expect out of the car performance-wise and any quirks it might exhibit with these modifications. This setup has far more to do with how the car sounds and feels than it does with performance numbers.

The car would be a 1986 or 1987 Regal T-Type (turbo) or Grand National, not any other variant. It would have to look fairly stock, perhaps with the factory wheels, so no oversized drag tires and small front wheels. It would be able to do a 10-second quarter mile time on a single turbo. Most importantly, it must use a Weldon fuel pump-- or any Weldon fuel pump with a characteristic buzzing drone each time the car is turned on.

I am thinking the model #D2015-A would be what this car would be running, since it is rated to 1000HP/160PSI and the car probably would be around 500-600HP.

Questions:

1) Exactly what would the *minimum* horsepower be in a 10 second street driven GN with a loud Weldon fuel pump? To justify using a Weldon, in other words?

2) Can the factory GN or T-Type rims be retained at this power level even if larger series tires are used?

3) How loud are Weldon pumps from both inside and outside the car? I'm looking for personal impressions. Could you hold a conversation inside the car while the engine is running or is it just too loud for this with any of their models?

4) In general, would a turbo Buick with a Weldon pump be considered "streetable" or "barely streetable"?

I don't need to know many more specifics than those. Again, this is for a media/sound project and not an actual project car. It's a specific sound and feel that I am looking for.

Any help and advice to this end would help me out tremendously, guys and gals. Thank you!

-Craig

Last edited by Kahn35; 11-15-2009 at 07:11 AM.