GN and T-Type Performance Enthusiasts (GNTTYPE) Forums GN and T-Type Performance Enthusiasts (GNTTYPE) Forums
This is a general site search and does not include list archives.

Go Back   GN and T-Type Performance Enthusiasts (GNTTYPE) Forums > Technical Topics > Wheels/Tires

Old 02-01-2009, 07:01 PM

shark is on a distinguished road
Default wheel widening

hi guys, i would like to widen my 87turbo t rear wheels to 8". they are stock wheels. i will mount 275/50r15's on them. any recommendation on if i should do this and if so, who would you recommend? 3.5-3.75 backspacing on the 8" wheel? thanks for helping.

idling till SPRING,
mike p
Old 02-01-2009, 07:31 PM
GNTTYPE Founder

Keller is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Re: wheel widening

Gbodyparts.com sells ones that are widened. Grand National wheels as well. See http://www.gbodyparts.com/index.php?...4da2b547373fff

Chances are they are getting them done by True Design in Colorado. The GN wheels, too. See http://www.trudesignwheel.net/buick_olds_wheels.html

Note that the stock T wheels are 4.0" backspace, and the 86/87 GN wheels have a tiny bit less. Regardless, this is considered the ideal backspace.

For the 86/87 T's, the best and simplest way to do this is to get a pair of the American Racing "Vector" wheels made in the 70s and early 80s with the proper 4.75" bolt pattern.

http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/pict...s/twheels.html

The downsides are:
- They are often not in the best shape, and may require refinishing
- They do not take the T-Type caps without some inventive work
- They take shank vs. cone style nuts
- They have a 3.5" backspace, which makes things tight on the outside

Note that the "new" Vector SE that American Racing sold recently do not have a usable backspacing in the 8.5" size. At least not without spacers/adapters.

Last edited by Keller; 02-09-2009 at 12:28 AM. Reason: Updated links, info
Old 02-14-2009, 11:24 PM
Senior Contributor

ed39 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to ed39
Default Re: wheel widening

what about for a 16x8 rim? i have 245s and 255s in the rear. but i want the car to have a more aggresive look in the rear with some wider tires.
blue top injectors, lt1 maf, translator, ATR single shot exhaust, 3inch dp, gnx wheels, turbo tweak chip , atr rear sway bar, super servo, shift kit, stock converter, 210/205 cam at .50 100lb springs, pt 51 turbo street tune for now
Old 02-15-2009, 03:24 AM
GNTTYPE Founder

Keller is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Re: wheel widening

Directly from the True Design site:

Pontiac GTA wheels made 16x7, 8, and 9.5 wide standard. Other widths are available. Backspacing can be to your special needs!