GN and T-Type Performance Enthusiasts (GNTTYPE) Forums GN and T-Type Performance Enthusiasts (GNTTYPE) Forums
This is a general site search and does not include list archives.

Go Back   GN and T-Type Performance Enthusiasts (GNTTYPE) Forums > Technical Topics > Engine Electrical/Ignition

Old 10-24-2008, 05:56 PM

Buzzp is on a distinguished road
Default I Give Up, Need GN Guru Mechanic

I am having trouble with my ignition system. Car has no power and it feels like a misfire. Changed coil pack, module, did spring cleaning, changed plugs, wires, injector harness, also changed injectors, ECM, new TT matched chip, I checked the FP but not while driving. Car smokes occasionally but not all the time. Sometimes not at all. I checked the cam sensor also and set it again at 25 deg before TDC. Oil and coolant look clean and also did a compression test and got 135psi to 140 psi in each. I also removed the turbo to check it and there is some play in the wheel but it has not touched the sides. Both wheels spin freely and I did a test blower on the exhaust inlet side and the wheel whinned up and spun freely. i guess that means the turbo is ok?? Turbo makes no boost while driving around and i do not here it at all. I also inserted the blower from shop vac on the downpie and the air flowed smoothly out the tailpipes for whatever that is worth. Can I have a blown head gasket??? I need help now and have gone as far as I could except for changing the fuel pump. Could that cause no boost and sound like a misfire??? Anyway, is there a guru GN Mechanic in the area of central or northern NJ, or even around Orange County NY area?
Old 10-24-2008, 09:20 PM
Senior Contributor

chrisgarrett is on a distinguished road
Default Re: I Give Up, Need GN Guru Mechanic

You sound like you know what you're doing. I'm certainly no guru but a couple simple things come to mind:
1. Double check that your plug wires are in the correct order.
2. Was your #1 at TDC when you set the cam sensor?
3. Check the status of your crank sensor.
2008 rebuild, Comp roller cam, Cat stroker, RJC gridle, CPT66BB, PTE Stock Location, Champion iron, 60# Mototron, ported throttlebody, RJC Power Plate, Jimmy-built trans w/Precision Vigilante converter, ATR SS dual exhaust, Razor alky.

Last edited by chrisgarrett; 10-25-2008 at 08:34 AM.
Old 10-24-2008, 09:39 PM

Yes. I checked the wires and they appear to be in the correct order according to diagram and also numbering on coil pack. I followed the directions on setting the cam sensor and actually had it set to 25 degrees before TDC (1.45" left of notch and lined up that mark with the 0 degree pointer on the plastic dohickie thingamabob). I back probed and locked it down when the voltage dropped from 7 to .04. I would assume the cam sensor is working if it is indicating the voltage drop when the window passes through the cap sensor.
Old 10-25-2008, 10:20 AM
Whoosh

kenmosher is on a distinguished road

So ... the cam sensor is now set for 25 ATDC (on the compression stroke)?

If so, I'd start looking at maybe a wiped lobe on the cam.
2012 Volkswagen Tiguan (the Tig!) Night Blue Met (sold)
2006 Trailblazer SS Red Jewel Tint 395 HP AWD (sold)
2014 Silverado LTZ Crew 4WD
2012 Honda VFR 1200F Tahitian Blue (sold)
2015 BMW S1000R Racing Red
2013 Honda CBR500R Red (wife's bike)
2014 Triumph Bonneville T100
2003 Harley Davidson V Rod Anniversary Edition
Old 10-28-2008, 10:34 PM

Electrajim is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Electrajim Send a message via Yahoo to Electrajim

What coil pack and module brand did you replace it with?
Did anything change when you did that?

Do you have any scantool readings?

If you DO need a mechanic, be sure he knows or has turbo Buicks!!!

ElectraJim
Old 10-29-2008, 07:19 PM
Tech Support

PaCemkr86 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to PaCemkr86

what intercooler are you using? and do you have a cat converter on the car?

My Turbo Buick
Old 10-30-2008, 09:14 AM

I replaced it with a delco coil pack and module. No change. The intercooler is stock, I do not know about the cat. I have limited tools and do not have a scan tool. I still have not done a leakdown test since I do not have the proper tools and need to get some or bring it to someone. But like i mentioned, I checked the oil - clean, the coolant -clean, did compression - ok, also took the radiator cap off when cool and started the car and there were no bubbles or coolant bubbling out of the opening while running. I looked at it again yesterday and when the car is started, it sounds great and runs fine. After about a minute or so when warming up, it will shake very slightly. I will then rev it up with no hesitation, but then it will start smoking, a greyish smoke with maybe a slight bluish. I am thinking it is the turbo??? I am not making any boost while reving or even driving it around. I took the turbo off and it looks ok. No blades broken, spins, but with some decent amount of shaft play and I found a little bit of oil in the turbo side exit where it goes into the intercooler. Could it be a bad or blown turbo. I bought the car this way off of ebay and when I got it it had major hesitation and would idle very very rough. After changing the injectors, coil pack, etc and a new chip, I got it to start and idle fine but now I have no power, no boost, and some smoking.
Old 10-30-2008, 10:32 AM
GNTTYPE Founder

Keller is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb Re: I Give Up, Need GN Guru Mechanic

Trying to diagnose even the smallest issue without a scan tool is madness. They are really necessary.

I'd suggest calling Ron's or whatever they're called now. Pretty sure their info is still the same.

305 S Michigan Ave
Kenilworth, NJ 07033
(908) 241-7211
Old 11-01-2008, 08:14 PM

Paul is on a distinguished road

Hope he posts the results. My money is it wasn't on compression stroke.
Old 11-04-2008, 09:33 AM

87GNNH is on a distinguished road

check ur waste gate actuator..