GN and T-Type Performance Enthusiasts (GNTTYPE) Forums GN and T-Type Performance Enthusiasts (GNTTYPE) Forums
This is a general site search and does not include list archives.

Go Back   GN and T-Type Performance Enthusiasts (GNTTYPE) Forums > Technical Topics > Engine Mechanical

Old 06-08-2012, 08:07 PM

Alan Drake is on a distinguished road
Default Valve Cover Change

A baby question - just removed driver's side cover, but in order to get some room broke a number of the 1/8" plastic pins that hold the wiring harness cover together. What does one do to put the cover back together again.

Also think I will need some more room to put cover back on, so does one remove the alternator???

Any other words of wisdom are welcome.
Alan
Old 06-11-2012, 05:13 AM

iownone is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Valve Cover Change

I'm no expert but when i did my valve covers i did not have to remove the alternator or anything just took patients and a little finesse
Old 06-17-2012, 02:10 PM
Car Guy

rocheman1 is on a distinguished road

Alan, I did mine several months ago, and did not have to remove the alternator. I do remember that it was a tight fit, and took some maneuvering to get them on. Hey, I don't mean to hijack your thread, but I want to ask anyone out there who reads this if they have an extra valve cover bolt. Just the regular bolt, not the one with the threaded portion on top. I haven't been able to work on my car for quite a while, and I just cannot find that stinkin last bolt! If anyone can help plz PM me! thx
Old 06-18-2012, 11:46 AM
Whoosh

kenmosher is on a distinguished road

You may have to loosen the heater hose clamp down and wiggle and jiggle stuff around, but you don't have to remove anything to get the valve covers off. It's really tight so twist and turn a lot.

As far as the VC bolt... common size and I replaced mine with bolts from the hardware bin at the Ace hardware with nice cadmium plated Grade 8s for a couple bucks. Mine needed to be a bit longer due to spacers for the roller rockers and I got threaded rod in the same size and made longer studs as well. My
2012 Volkswagen Tiguan (the Tig!) Night Blue Met (sold)
2006 Trailblazer SS Red Jewel Tint 395 HP AWD (sold)
2014 Silverado LTZ Crew 4WD
2012 Honda VFR 1200F Tahitian Blue (sold)
2015 BMW S1000R Racing Red
2013 Honda CBR500R Red (wife's bike)
2014 Triumph Bonneville T100
2003 Harley Davidson V Rod Anniversary Edition