GN and T-Type Performance Enthusiasts (GNTTYPE) Forums GN and T-Type Performance Enthusiasts (GNTTYPE) Forums
This is a general site search and does not include list archives.

Go Back   GN and T-Type Performance Enthusiasts (GNTTYPE) Forums > Technical Topics > Engine Mechanical

Old 12-27-2008, 12:14 AM

MCHdrivesan86GN is on a distinguished road
Default Stock CAM vs After Market

Happy Holidays to all.

I blew a head gasket this past October, since the head gasket was being replaced I went ahead and ordered ported heads and had my intake ported. As it turned out my fuel pump had a defective part on it, which may or may not of contributed to the blown head gasket. Anyway, the person doing the work on my engine didn't suggest that I get a different/better CAM. From the opinion of others on this forum, it seems that I'm wasting my money by not upgrading the CAM as well. So my question is, is this a definitive? Will I not see any improvement in performance? Absolutely no ponies added? Or if there is a performance increase how much more would I be missing out on by not upgrading the CAM? I realize this might be a tough question to answer. Also, does anyone have performance metrics for a case that I've posted? I've posed this question to the guy doing the work and his answer is that I will see performance improvement, but I never asked the question about what I would be missing out on by not upgrading the CAM too. As always any input is appreciated.

One other question I have, it is a bit embarrassing to ask, but what do the numbers represent with respect to a CAM? For instance, a 206/206. What does this mean, is it lift for intake/exhaust? I did some searching on the internet, albeit not a lot of searching, and I didn't find the explanation I was looking for.

Thanks.
Old 12-27-2008, 03:24 AM
GNTTYPE Founder

Keller is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb Re: Stock CAM vs After Market

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCHdrivesan86GN View Post
From the opinion of others on this forum, it seems that I'm wasting my money by not upgrading the CAM as well. So my question is, is this a definitive? Will I not see any improvement in performance?
Will ported heads/intake give improvement on their own? Some. Will a cam added to the mix add to that? Quite a bit! It takes advantage of the added airflow benefit by more aggressively opening the intake and exhaust valves. If the heads and intake were unported, the more aggressive cam would be choked by the stock head and intake flow. The mix of components allows everything to sing in unison when selected properly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCHdrivesan86GN View Post
One other question I have, it is a bit embarrassing to ask, but what do the numbers represent with respect to a CAM? For instance, a 206/206. What does this mean, is it lift for intake/exhaust?
Those two numbers are actually the duration numbers for both intake and exhaust. Note that they may be given at .050" lift, not the moment the lifter starts to move. Some companies give duration at .006", some at .050", and some offer total lift as well as one of the other numbers.

Some info on the topic:
http://www.racingheadservice.com/Inf...?ID=1775889296
http://www.popularhotrodding.com/eng...ecs/index.html
http://www.popularhotrodding.com/eng...ecs/index.html
http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/1...aft/index.html
Old 12-27-2008, 12:29 PM

Supercomp729l is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Stock CAM vs After Market

``````````

Last edited by Supercomp729l; 03-15-2012 at 10:34 PM.
Old 12-27-2008, 02:13 PM
Tech Support

PaCemkr86 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to PaCemkr86

it also depends how fast ya wanna go..

My Turbo Buick
Old 12-27-2008, 02:41 PM
Whoosh

kenmosher is on a distinguished road

11.9 is pretty much at the limits of a lot of the stock stuff (injectors, turbo) for most full weight cars. You can still squeeze a bit more out of it, but it gets harder and harder (and breaks more stuff! )

If you are already doing the heads, then a nice conservative cam (Supercomp nailed it!). DON'T get a bunch of overlap or excessive duration/lift ...

Your head porter should be able to give you an idea of what will work well with your heads. Just remember these aren't rev happy motors and make all their power below 5500 RPM for the most part. If you are running a larger turbo, you can get away with a bit more exhaust duration on the cam (some of the bigger turbo guys get some good results with something in the 208/212 range). Normally you will get best street results with something around 206/206 or a split duration like 210/205.

If you go roller cam, due to the ramp profiles, you can actually go a bit larger and still get really good street-ability.

All that said, I've gotten 650+ HP out of ported heads, TA61 (modified), and a 208/208 cam (engine dyno).
2012 Volkswagen Tiguan (the Tig!) Night Blue Met (sold)
2006 Trailblazer SS Red Jewel Tint 395 HP AWD (sold)
2014 Silverado LTZ Crew 4WD
2012 Honda VFR 1200F Tahitian Blue (sold)
2015 BMW S1000R Racing Red
2013 Honda CBR500R Red (wife's bike)
2014 Triumph Bonneville T100
2003 Harley Davidson V Rod Anniversary Edition
Old 12-27-2008, 06:16 PM

Thanks for the input. Just keep in mind, my original question was with ported heads and intake is it a waste not to go ahead and get a "better"
CAM.

BTW, does anyone have the specs on the stock CAM? Just curious.

Thanks.
Old 12-27-2008, 06:44 PM
Whoosh

kenmosher is on a distinguished road

Short answer ... yes.

Stock cam specs here:

http://www.gnttype.org/maint/quickref.html

Bottom of page
2012 Volkswagen Tiguan (the Tig!) Night Blue Met (sold)
2006 Trailblazer SS Red Jewel Tint 395 HP AWD (sold)
2014 Silverado LTZ Crew 4WD
2012 Honda VFR 1200F Tahitian Blue (sold)
2015 BMW S1000R Racing Red
2013 Honda CBR500R Red (wife's bike)
2014 Triumph Bonneville T100
2003 Harley Davidson V Rod Anniversary Edition
Old 12-28-2008, 02:52 AM

Thanks for the input, I need it.

Sounds like a new CAM might be in order and the good thing I have sometime to think about it and research a little more due to the Great Michigan Winter.

I've had my TR about 7 months now and prior to this I have never really worked a vehicle in this capacity. It is all relatively new to me, so I apologize for any stupid questions and appreciate everyone's input and patience. I still have lots to learn and I'm trying to get a good solid foundation of knowledge. No better place to get it then here.