GN and T-Type Performance Enthusiasts (GNTTYPE) Forums GN and T-Type Performance Enthusiasts (GNTTYPE) Forums
This is a general site search and does not include list archives.

Go Back   GN and T-Type Performance Enthusiasts (GNTTYPE) Forums > Technical Topics > Suspension/Rear Ends

Old 09-15-2004, 01:22 AM

GNetic86 is on a distinguished road
Default Shocks?

Hi - I have an 86 GN thats pretty much bone stock/all original. When I say original, I suspect it may even have the original shocks on it yet, which after 77,000 miles are pretty much dead weight at this point. I've been using this car as a daily driver for the past few days since my normal dd is getting trans work done. Is there any better suggested shocks for these cars?

I don't plan to race it but want the best street performance I can get, however my current focus is getting the engine running right and replacing some window seals before winter. Should I go with better shocks or go with over-the-counter ones like Gabriels until I'm ready to attack the suspension?

Thanks for any help,

Jeff /gnetic86
86 GN
Old 09-16-2004, 08:11 AM
Administrator

rinacker is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Shocks?

Jeff,

I really like the Edelbrock IAS shocks. They're pricey, but the handling, ride and braking stability are excellent. Plus, for a mostly stock suspension vehicle, they work very well at the track as well. For "serious" race cars with modified suspensions I'm sure drag shocks offer some advantages, but drag shocks are a Really Bad Idea for driving on the street.

Anyway, check them out at: Edelbrock's Web Site

The normal Performer IAS shocks are red, which wouldn't suit my taste for a GN, but the Classic IAS has the same technology and a more subdued gunmetal gray powder coating.
Old 09-16-2004, 01:12 PM

GNetic86 is on a distinguished road

Thanks Rinacker, I'll check em out. Still open to other suggestions too if anyone has any.

Thanks!

Jeff
Old 09-16-2004, 10:53 PM
GNTTYPE Founder

Keller is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb Re: Shocks?

I do race my car a bit, but also plan on keeping it forever. So I bought a shock that looks great, is rebuildable, adjustable, and should last forever. But...it costs like it. I put HAL/QA1 adjustables at all 4 corners. Close to $150 apiece. I have just under 70k on my car, and at least one of the original shocks was totally dead when it was removed. No resistance to movement whatsoever! Changing to these made the ride MUCH better. Still playing with the settings trying to optimize my 60' times, but I don't race often and get the data pretty slowly.

In short, these can be adjusted to ride great and give great track performance. Plus they can even give you show points if you have the judges looking underneath.

Not sure these would be the answer for everyone, but just one more view...
Old 09-17-2004, 04:37 PM

GNXDad is on a distinguished road

Bilsteins.
Old 09-20-2004, 11:18 PM

mybuick is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to mybuick Send a message via Yahoo to mybuick

bilstiens all around here not a hard ride and no body lean on turns. rides like grampas buick.