GN and T-Type Performance Enthusiasts (GNTTYPE) Forums GN and T-Type Performance Enthusiasts (GNTTYPE) Forums
This is a general site search and does not include list archives.

Go Back   GN and T-Type Performance Enthusiasts (GNTTYPE) Forums > Technical Topics > Suspension/Rear Ends

Old 04-01-2007, 12:00 AM

MP2406 is on a distinguished road
Default I could use some help. A friend dogged out my GN.

I recently purchased a 87 Buick Grand National a couple weeks ago and one of the things that amazed me was how smooth and tight the ride was for such a high mileage car. Feels like it's never hit a curb in its life.

Problem is a friend ended up having to drive it for me a couple nights ago. When i drove it the next day i instantly noticed that the car handles real squirrelly all of the sudden. It was like i was in a different car. The only thing i could think to do was to check the rear air bag suspension the previous owner installed and the right one was completely empty. It doesn't leak and i just checked both the day before when i aired up a tire. Putting air back in didn't change much though. Anyone know what he could have done? Where should i start on this?
Old 04-02-2007, 12:01 AM
Senior Contributor

NOTACARLO is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to NOTACARLO
Default Re: I could use some help. A friend dogged out my GN.

I would start at the friends house. Toothpicks under the toenails if you know what I mean.
Just another not stock regal. P&P heads/intake, 61mm GT, SLIC w/neck, SMC boozamahol, Sewer sized DP, 60#inj, TT 93, Hofer tranny, fuel cell, A1000 pump, stock cam/pistons, 100lb springs, titanium retainers, SS polished TA valves.
Old 04-02-2007, 12:18 PM
Senior Contributor

IL KIM is on a distinguished road

Did you check the air pressure in your tires?
IL KIM 85 GN w/86 motor, TRW pistons, Weber 206 billet roller cam, EGR welded, o/sized valves, 130psi springs, roller rockers, 3000 conv, adj w/gate, FPR, custom rad, KB ram air, ported, KB headers, Walbro 340M/hotwire, 60lb Hi Z, CPT66bb
Old 04-02-2007, 12:58 PM
J D Race

monzaz is on a distinguished road

Check the shocks too in the rear with the air bags deflatted. push up and down and check the rebound in the suspension. Check to also make sure all the mounting points on the four link control arms are all intacked. if an upper lost a bolt that will really make your rear sway and feel really messed up.

Air in the tires is a very good place to start as stated. control arm bushings --- one could have taken a poop. With a high mileage vehicle anything can go at any time. Jim
Old 04-18-2007, 12:00 PM

LEGACY_GN is on a distinguished road

I know this seems to simple but it sounds to me like it needs an alignment.
Old 07-12-2009, 02:07 AM

buickfever is on a distinguished road

Front sway bar end links break all the time...especially when someone else beats the crap out of his friends TR. And with a broken link, the sway bar barely works. Makes a big difference to the cars owner, who knows how it should feel.
Old 07-18-2009, 01:05 AM

Yankee John is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEGACY_GN View Post
I know this seems to simple but it sounds to me like it needs an alignment.
+1

Your first mistake was letting your friend drive it

My guess is alignment too. Your buddy likely got it sideways and put it into a curb and knocked out the alignment. Been there done that.........

John