GN and T-Type Performance Enthusiasts (GNTTYPE) Forums GN and T-Type Performance Enthusiasts (GNTTYPE) Forums
This is a general site search and does not include list archives.

Go Back   GN and T-Type Performance Enthusiasts (GNTTYPE) Forums > Technical Topics > Turbochargers and Intercoolers

Old 02-05-2010, 09:04 PM

Malcolm is on a distinguished road
Default Converting to turbo?

I'm looking at buying an 87' Regal with the "T" package. It has the 3.8l non-turbo engine. What are my options with going to turbo on it? Also, any ideas on how much I'd be dropping on a project like this?
Old 02-05-2010, 11:19 PM
GNTTYPE Founder

Keller is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Re: Converting to turbo?

Hmm...thought the '87 T cars were all powerd by a Buick turbo V6 or 307 Olds V8...

The short answer is, unless you do an entire driveline transplant, it isn't going to be easy. A real TR is a LOT more than just a turbo on a V6.

See http://www.gnttype.org/forums/showthread.php?t=3468

The difference between a carbed car with a weak rear end and a fuel injected, turbocharged, intercooled car with a strong rear end is a BIG difference. Short of buying a wrecked car and transplanting everything, it likely would be easier to just buy a real turbo T from the onset.
Old 02-06-2010, 02:38 PM

Malcolm is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Converting to turbo?

Thanks for the quick reply. Great info you gave and to the point. The guy has 3 Regals for sale, might see about a group purchase. Either way, I'd be happy with the non-turbo regardless. I've been looking for a Regal since I got rid of my first one, I just love how they look. For $1500/obo, I haven't found anything similar for this price that's a 20 minute drive away. Until I hit the lottery, this is as close to my dream car (87' GN) as I can get right now. I was just curious about the possibility of an upgrade, and your post was right on point and answered my question perfectly. Thanks for the feedback.

P.S. I also thought they all came with the Turbo, but I found this site where he clarifies that the Base and Limited Regal had the option for the "T" package (Y56) and also the Exterior Sport Package (W02).

Last edited by Malcolm; 02-06-2010 at 02:49 PM.