GN and T-Type Performance Enthusiasts (GNTTYPE) Forums GN and T-Type Performance Enthusiasts (GNTTYPE) Forums
This is a general site search and does not include list archives.

Go Back   GN and T-Type Performance Enthusiasts (GNTTYPE) Forums > Technical Topics > Fuel Systems

Old 08-25-2008, 10:26 AM
Senior Contributor

T-TopFlyer is on a distinguished road
Question How Can I Test My Hotwire

I think one of the hotwire harnesses I have may be faulty or have faulty components. How can I test it to be sure? I'm not very electronically inclined so please make it as simple as possible. I do have a voltmeter, test light etc. thanks
Old 08-25-2008, 12:29 PM
GNTTYPE Founder

Keller is on a distinguished road
Question Re: How Can I Test My Hotwire

What makes you think its "faulty"? That might indicate how to properly test it.
Old 08-25-2008, 12:34 PM
Senior Contributor

Default Re: How Can I Test My Hotwire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keller
What makes you think its "faulty"? That might indicate how to properly test it.
The last time I did put a Walbro in my car, I didn't install the hotwire and the Walbro lasted for a few weeks. May have been coincidence but almost immediately after I reconnected the hotwire the pump failed.
Old 08-25-2008, 01:21 PM
GNTTYPE Founder

Question Re: How Can I Test My Hotwire

So it failed once without and it failed once with. Can't see how this indicative of a hotwire failure or shortcoming.
Old 08-25-2008, 01:35 PM
Senior Contributor

Exclamation Re: How Can I Test My Hotwire

Quote:
So it failed once without and it failed once with. Can't see how this indicative of a hotwire failure or shortcoming.
No no no...sorry I should have been more clear...each time it failed the hotwire was connected. The last time I replaced the pump I left it disconnected and when I reconnected it, it failed. It hasn't failed at all without a hotwire going through stock wiring.

Last edited by T-TopFlyer; 08-25-2008 at 01:43 PM.
Old 08-25-2008, 07:44 PM
GNTTYPE Founder

Exclamation Re: How Can I Test My Hotwire

I'm starting to wonder if the Walbro failures are in part due to the stress we all place upon them by the high pressures and voltages due to to the turbocharged environment. Granted, so many platforms (F-Body, Supra, Syclone, etc.) are seeing a high rate, and they are not all pressurized applications. I've talked to other sales sources that are not TR related and they are reporting higher-than-normal failure rates as well.

I don't think its anything you did. The product just is not measuring up and it needs to be improved. Or we will find a better mousetrap.
Old 08-26-2008, 08:09 AM
Senior Contributor

Default Re: How Can I Test My Hotwire

Quote:
I'm starting to wonder if the Walbro failures are in part due to the stress we all place upon them by the high pressures and voltages due to to the turbocharged environment. Granted, so many platforms (F-Body, Supra, Syclone, etc.) are seeing a high rate, and they are not all pressurized applications. I've talked to other sales sources that are not TR related and they are reporting higher-than-normal failure rates as well.

I don't think its anything you did. The product just is not measuring up and it needs to be improved. Or we will find a better mousetrap.
That's what I'm thinking too....I wonder if eliminating the high voltage it's subjected to via straight wire from the alernator would eliminate part of the "unreasonable" demand?

They definately need to be improved. Would love to find something that meets the demand that I can depend on again like the Walbros of days past.