GN and T-Type Performance Enthusiasts (GNTTYPE) Forums GN and T-Type Performance Enthusiasts (GNTTYPE) Forums
This is a general site search and does not include list archives.

Go Back   GN and T-Type Performance Enthusiasts (GNTTYPE) Forums > Technical Topics > Wheels/Tires

Old 09-20-2009, 09:27 PM

Detomaso71 is on a distinguished road
Default MT ET street radials or MT ET Street "Drag" radials

I see most car have ET streets but noticed there are two types, on has the word drag in it and a normal looking tread pattern and the other, the MT Street radial is slicker but has some tread on it.

Which is better/more widely used for a 275/50/15.

Thanks

1987 GN
TA 49 turbo, 42 lb injectors, 3 inch downpipe and exhaust, upgraded IC and ram air, stock engine.
Old 09-20-2009, 11:07 PM
GNTTYPE Founder

Keller is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb Re: MT ET street radials or MT ET Street "Drag" radials

All Mickey tires with "Drag" in the name are slicks. So unless you are looking for slicks...

http://www.mickeythompsontires.com/s...?item=ETStreet
http://www.mickeythompsontires.com/s...ETStreetRadial

Frankly, I like the latter one better. They seem to last a long time and provide excellent launches. Not to mention great street manners if you drive them on the road.

If your question was about slicks, let us know.
Old 09-25-2009, 07:11 PM
Senior Contributor

87geeinn is on a distinguished road
Default Re: MT ET street radials or MT ET Street "Drag" radials

Also, the former requires tubes, whereas the latter is a true radial. I have the street radials in 275/50/15 on mine and they stick really well. Just baby the car if you drive it in wet conditions because they will spin very easily.

With that width, they will fit on the stock size rim, however they might shine up the inner portion of the frame depending on how your rear end is centered with the rest of the car. Regardless, clearance is very close but they do fit. Lots of people run them with no problems.
87 GN, stroker, Champion irons and intake, 218/212 cam, TE60, 70mm TB, Precision plenum, FMIC, Alky, Innovate WB, TurboTweak, Powerlogger, 9" real Art Carr non-lock, Brian Hofer 200r4, TA stainless headers, 3" DP, 60lb injectors, MT ET Streets.
Old 09-26-2009, 09:54 AM
GNTTYPE Founder

Lightbulb Re: MT ET street radials or MT ET Street "Drag" radials

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87geeinn View Post
Also, the former requires tubes, whereas the latter is a true radial.
True enough. But I've used them without. With proper preparation (i.e. coating the inside if the tire with dish soap, and letting it dry, before having them mounted to wheels) you can actually hold pressure pretty consistently.

IMHO, **NO** tire of that size should be on a 7" wheel. You won't get the proper contact patch or wear.
Old 09-27-2009, 01:52 PM
Senior Contributor

Survivor87 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
IMHO, **NO** tire of that size should be on a 7" wheel. You won't get the proper contact patch or wear.
Agree 100%. You would be much better off with a 235/60 on a 7 inch wheel and depending on your performance level it may be all you need. I think Mickey Thompson reccomends an 8.5 minimum wheel width for their 275/50 tire. Not piling on 87 geeinn...the 275 does fit as he described and looks very tough up under there, it just won't wear properly or contact fully.
Now if you can live with a slightly taller tire, which will throw your speedometer off a little, the 255/60/15 ET Street Radial is listed to work with a 7 inch wheel width.
I have been into the mid 1.60 range on 60' many times with this tire on my factory wheels and even have a 1.59 timeslip around here somewhere. Great street manners too.
Old 09-27-2009, 06:07 PM
Senior Contributor

IL KIM is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keller View Post
(i.e. coating the inside if the tire with dish soap, and letting it dry, before having them mounted to wheels) you can actually hold pressure pretty consistently.
IMHO, never coat tires with dish soap. Based on working in the OEM assembly plants, this is a no-no. Soap never dries without leaving a residue and tires tend to spin relative to the wheels, throwing off balance on new cars. Then again, maybe we don't feel the Noise/Vibration/Harshness as much in our old cars. We use Purple Merpol (Merpol diluted 200:1) or specific tire lube so it evaporates as it dries.
IL KIM 85 GN w/86 motor, TRW pistons, Weber 206 billet roller cam, EGR welded, o/sized valves, 130psi springs, roller rockers, 3000 conv, adj w/gate, FPR, custom rad, KB ram air, ported, KB headers, Walbro 340M/hotwire, 60lb Hi Z, CPT66bb
Old 09-28-2009, 03:45 PM
GNTTYPE Founder

Exclamation Re: MT ET street radials or MT ET Street "Drag" radials

Quote:
Originally Posted by IL KIM View Post
We use Purple Merpol (Merpol diluted 200:1) or specific tire lube so it evaporates as it dries.
I just looked up info on that, and it appears to be a know carcinogen. And line workers are cautioning each other about using it. Maybe a look at a MSDS would be a good idea.

Given that these are race tires, and should not be used on the street, the balance will not be affected by long stretches of driving. Plus, I'd rather not get cancer by trying to get a good seal of the tire. As long as you spread it evenly and work with an installer that will see that the bead is installed cleanly and it is balanced OK, I don't think a little bit of Dawn or Joy will make your wheels wobble too badly. Hasn't for me. Old racer trick.
Old 09-28-2009, 06:01 PM
Senior Contributor

IL KIM is on a distinguished road

Have you ever read the MSDS on engine coolant? Just about any fluid can kill you. Just need to use them as directed. Don't drink any purple stuff!
IL KIM 85 GN w/86 motor, TRW pistons, Weber 206 billet roller cam, EGR welded, o/sized valves, 130psi springs, roller rockers, 3000 conv, adj w/gate, FPR, custom rad, KB ram air, ported, KB headers, Walbro 340M/hotwire, 60lb Hi Z, CPT66bb