GN and T-Type Performance Enthusiasts (GNTTYPE) Forums GN and T-Type Performance Enthusiasts (GNTTYPE) Forums
This is a general site search and does not include list archives.

Go Back   GN and T-Type Performance Enthusiasts (GNTTYPE) Forums > Technical Topics > Wheels/Tires

Old 08-17-2006, 09:38 PM
Senior Contributor

buddiiee is on a distinguished road
Default tire traction trade off...

Ok, here's kind of an odd question, that even the guy at tirerack.com couldnt answer... I got 245 tires on back, but theyre at 400 utqg, (or treadwear rating). The only other tires I desire, are the ones that can really handle. I know most go with some sort of 275 drag radial on back, and just a normal tire on front, but I dont like the way those cars handle on the road. So, I was contemplating some 200 treadwear ultra high performance summer tires for all 4 corners, but the widest they come in, for 15" rims, are 225. Tell me, in your guys' professional opinion, would going with a 20mm narrower tire, but with half the treadwear, give me better grip? is half the treadwear enough to make up for, or even improve grip over a 20mm wider but harder tire? I love the way a car handles, with some bfg g-force ta kd's on. theyre outstanding. Would I be giving up any traction from my radial t/a's?
KB chip,2400 TC,K&N cai,stage3 shiftkit,bilstein shocks,engine strap,1.375 rear bar,all 4 brace kits,2.5"catless dual exhaust,bosch afpr,airbag,160 t-stat,power plate,ported inlet bell,alum drums,S-10 cylinders.On deck:LT1 springs,hotwired walbro.
Old 08-18-2006, 12:13 AM
GNTTYPE Founder

Keller is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb Re: tire traction trade off...

I think you aren't looking at the whole story.

Some of this depends on the ratings of the tire, and not just the treadwear rating. The same tire, once used, will have less "treadwear rating". However, may have the same (or better) grip. And may even handle temperature better.

Chances are on a stock 15x7" rim, you aren't going to be able to get that great a handling out of any tire. The 245 (x50/15?) is probably too wide for a 7" rim. If that's what you have, it would just roll over sideways on hard cornering anyway. The 225 is a more sane width for a stock rim. However, the car won't have that 'muscular' stance.

The Radial T/A isn't that much of a handling tire. The KDW is better. Without some work, the TR's aren't handling cars.

No flavor of 245 or 225 on a 15" rim is going to be 26" in height. And the sidewalls will be too tall to make for a handling combo. To really get a good handling combo set up, 16" wheels with 245/50-16's (maybe 255/50-16's out back ala GNX's) would be a huge improvement and offer much more selection.
Old 08-18-2006, 04:14 PM
Senior Contributor

Default Re: tire traction trade off...

You dont think some 225/50 bfg g-force t/a kd's all the way around on my stock rims would make the car handle like a dream? I have thick sway bars, and bilstein shocks. my car handles pretty good now, even with the radial t/a's on. but i would like a touch more traction, and a touch more corning stability as well. From what the g force tires offer, i was hoping that since they have really good tread design, and a 200 tread wear, with a little lower profile, that i would get pretty much what i wanted from mounting them all the way around.
(but am still going to do good bushings all the way around, switch to a one inch sway bar up front, aluminum billet control arms/trailing arms in the rear, eibach springs, and the tighter ratio steering gear box up front)

not worrying about a traditional muscle car stance, would i still be able to retain at least, what little traction i do have with these tires?
KB chip,2400 TC,K&N cai,stage3 shiftkit,bilstein shocks,engine strap,1.375 rear bar,all 4 brace kits,2.5"catless dual exhaust,bosch afpr,airbag,160 t-stat,power plate,ported inlet bell,alum drums,S-10 cylinders.On deck:LT1 springs,hotwired walbro.
Old 08-19-2006, 08:46 PM

fastblackcar is on a distinguished road

i have bf good. g force kdw, mounted on gta 16 " they handle very well, but like the guy told me at the track they are a high speed tire, they dont grab for sh1t at the track although they look great, i removed the sway bar so cornering is still great, sizes are few also
Tom
1986 GN, 3225 Pte, P.P heads,Dut, neck I/C,Mease plenum/schroud & T.B, RJC Plate,K.B Ram air ,160 amp alt,Hot wire, Under drive pulleys, cam kit, 100# springs,D.R timing Set, HV Oil pump, Direct Scan,Julio's Progressive Alcohol Kit
Old 08-21-2006, 06:07 PM
Senior Contributor

how do they hook on dry pavement in the street though?
Old 08-25-2006, 08:32 AM

fastblackcar is on a distinguished road

very well dry road, on my car they spin easy, but they do handle excellent !!I need more traction, just going thru a phase with my best friend and his 502 chevelle !!.................i have M.T Street drag tires coming! see mine for sale on e bay
Tom
1986 GN, 3225 Pte, P.P heads,Dut, neck I/C,Mease plenum/schroud & T.B, RJC Plate,K.B Ram air ,160 amp alt,Hot wire, Under drive pulleys, cam kit, 100# springs,D.R timing Set, HV Oil pump, Direct Scan,Julio's Progressive Alcohol Kit