GN and T-Type Performance Enthusiasts (GNTTYPE) Forums GN and T-Type Performance Enthusiasts (GNTTYPE) Forums
This is a general site search and does not include list archives.

Go Back   GN and T-Type Performance Enthusiasts (GNTTYPE) Forums > Technical Topics > Engine Mechanical

Old 04-12-2016, 05:49 AM
Senior Contributor

JAMIEPACURN is on a distinguished road
Default OIL FOR Rebuilt Motor

Okay guys, I'm having a stroker motor built with all billet components and was wondering what type of oil is recommended to use. In the stock motor I had I used to use Royal Purple 10W30 full synthetic and have also used Mobile 1. So which would be better to use:

1. Full Synthetic Oil

2. Synthetic Blend Oil

3. Conventional oil loaded with additives

I do not drive my car at all during the winter but want a good quality oil used in my new rebuilt motor so thought I would see what others recommend.

Jamie C.
Old 04-14-2016, 01:27 PM
Whoosh

kenmosher is on a distinguished road
Default Re: OIL FOR Rebuilt Motor

I always use a good quality oil (regardless of synthetic or not) and add a can of ZDPP for break in. Break in the motor, run it for 300-500 miles on the street and change the oil again with whatever you feel you want to "live" with from here on.

Be sure it's the proper weight and I'd talk with your builder about recommendations.

I would suggest a premium synthetic ... if you are using a roller cam, the ZDPP isn't as critical as the flat tappet.

Adding a bunch of off the shelf oil treatment stuff is usually not a great idea because the oils have LOTS of engineering in them and you could screw that all up. The stuff out there right now is incredible vs. stuff from 30 years ago.
2012 Volkswagen Tiguan (the Tig!) Night Blue Met (sold)
2006 Trailblazer SS Red Jewel Tint 395 HP AWD (sold)
2014 Silverado LTZ Crew 4WD
2012 Honda VFR 1200F Tahitian Blue (sold)
2015 BMW S1000R Racing Red
2013 Honda CBR500R Red (wife's bike)
2014 Triumph Bonneville T100
2003 Harley Davidson V Rod Anniversary Edition
Old 04-14-2016, 04:06 PM
Senior Contributor

Thanks Ken. I will certainly use a good quality oil but just not sure on the proper weight selection. I do have 5 bottles left of the ZDPP at the house so I will be sure to add this to the motor. I got rid of the flat tappet cam and went with a roller cam set up. I appreciate your input. Last thing I want to do is use oil that harms the motor especially the oils out there that contains lots of additives. The old saying holds true............."More is not Better"!
Old 04-14-2016, 04:21 PM
Whoosh

kenmosher is on a distinguished road

Weight is dependent on how the motor is set up (clearances for bearings, type of cam, etc.), but a safe bet is 5W-30 synthetic unless the builder opened up the clearances a bit, in which case, you might want to go 20W-50.

Basically, you'll looking for something that is good protection for high temps, and has good viscosity for your climate and typical driving conditions. There are "super" synthetics out there now that are excellent with 0W-40 ratings.

The roller cam makes it easier, because that's one the most problematic areas (and that's what the ZDPP helps with mostly).
2012 Volkswagen Tiguan (the Tig!) Night Blue Met (sold)
2006 Trailblazer SS Red Jewel Tint 395 HP AWD (sold)
2014 Silverado LTZ Crew 4WD
2012 Honda VFR 1200F Tahitian Blue (sold)
2015 BMW S1000R Racing Red
2013 Honda CBR500R Red (wife's bike)
2014 Triumph Bonneville T100
2003 Harley Davidson V Rod Anniversary Edition
Old 04-16-2016, 05:08 AM
Senior Contributor

Ok, I will ask Mike Licht from Full Throttle Speed as to what oil weight he recommends since he will know about all the clearances and working parts of the new build. Thank you for the information you provided.

Jamie C.