GN and T-Type Performance Enthusiasts (GNTTYPE) Forums GN and T-Type Performance Enthusiasts (GNTTYPE) Forums
This is a general site search and does not include list archives.

Go Back   GN and T-Type Performance Enthusiasts (GNTTYPE) Forums > Technical Topics > Birds of Prey - 1989 Turbo Trans Ams

Old 03-06-2010, 10:24 AM
cRaCk wHoRe

PhillyTurboSix is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to PhillyTurboSix
Exclamation 1989 Pontiac Turbo Trans Am Reunion in Hebron, Ohio in 2011

I'm putting together a 1989 Pontiac turbo trans am reunion to finally get these cars in the lime light after 20 years. They have never been together or has such an event like this ever happened for them. If you know ANYONE with a TTA or even all you enthusiast out there this event is a MUST attend. I really want to see over 100 TTA's back together. We have all kind of special guest who have been around the building of these cars from day one that are going to speak at this event. It will be a once in a life time event. You can find more info on this event here...

http://www.turbotransam.com/forums/s...ead.php?t=3985

We are also putting together a Q&A session so if you have questions about these cars and you would like the correct answer finally just ask them here...

http://www.turbotransam.com/forums/s...ead.php?t=4064

Hope to see you there!

[IMG][/IMG]

Can a moderator make this a sticky post please!
89 Turbo Trans AM #396

Pennsylvania State Representative for MAGNA
Join Today!
http://www.magnabuick.com/
Old 07-06-2010, 08:13 PM
cRaCk wHoRe

Thumbs up Re: 1989 Pontiac Turbo Trans Am Reunion in Hebron, Ohio in 2011

We are almost to the one year away mark! I can't wait! Bring those TTA's out and book your hotel early! I'll be announcing the special guests coming to this event the end of this month. Should be the largest showing of TTA's ever!
89 Turbo Trans AM #396

Join Today!
Old 08-08-2010, 07:53 AM
cRaCk wHoRe

Exclamation Re: 1989 Pontiac Turbo Trans Am Reunion in Hebron, Ohio in 2011

OK boys are you ready for our special guest attending the TTA reunion next year at National Trail Raceway in Hebron, Ohio...

Attending the 1989 Pontiac Turbo Trans Am reunion next year will be the one and only. Mister Turbo Trans Am, Mister PAS him self....

SCOTT KELLY

I am so fired up Scott is going to attend our event!! It's been hard holding it back and I leaked the news out to a few members but Scott Kelly is/was PAS. He test drove each and every one of your cars when they rolled out of PAS in 1989!! These cars all deserve to head back to the BPG event in Ohio next year and see their creator once again! Scott is excited about the event and can't wait to see a long line of TTA's sitting in the pits at National Trail Raceway next year! He is working on some projects for the TTA's that will be announcing shortly! He misses the TTA's dearly and told me it was one of the most special projects he's ever done! So let's show Scott how each and every one of the TTA owners out there are nothing but first class and bring our TTA's out to this event next year! Some way, in any shape or form, get your TTA out to Ohio next year for this event and let's all make history!

This news blew me away when he said he would attend this event. After all without him there would never have been an 1989 turbo Trans AM!

Here is a little info on Scott Kelly for those that don't know him....

Scott Kelly was instrumental in the development and production of the 1989 20th Anniversary Trans Am. Scott served as the Engineering Liaison between PAS and General Motors throughout the program as well as being responsible for the all of the Trans Ams used during the month of May 1989 including the 3 actual Pace Cars. After the Trans Am program Scott worked as the Service and Warranty administrator for the Anniversary Trans Am, Syclone, Typhoon, Sonoma GT as well as Natural Gas powered trucks that PAS produced until 1994.

Scott and his Wife Ann currently own a small automotive technical writing company name Kelly Automobile Technologies that specialized in vehicle proposals, technical papers and marketing materials. Ann and Scott met under the hood of a prototype 20th Anniversary Trans Am in 1988 as Ann was tasked by Pontiac to develop the Owner’s Manual Supplement for the car.

I mean how cool is this news! The one and only Scott Kelly will be there next year in Ohio.

OK so now... Here is what we are working on for next year at the TTA reunion...

We are going to have possibly 2 or more Q&A sessions with Scott Kelly in the Jegs suite at the track. If attendance grows over the size of the Jegs suite we may relocated this Q&A session but we'll work on that as time gets closer. For now we have secured the suite all weekend thanks to BPG. The suite looks down the quarter mile and it's got cold AC! Scott will bring some never before seen pictures and documents from the making of the TTA back in 1989! We will show them while Scott tells us all about how the TTA came to life and the entire history behind the cars.

This is why we started the thread about questions on these cars because we have the man himself going to answer them for you at this event! I have spoke to Scott many times on the phone over the last year and some of the information he has gives me chills! Never before known facts about these cars will now be all out in the open! Trust me if you have the love for these cars that I do, this is something you do not want to miss!

Also... We will have dash plaques made for this event. On these plaques we will have a place for each and every TTA owner to write his name, vin, and car number. We will then take a picture of Scott Kelly, you, and the plaque in front of your car! How cool is that! You will be able to have a picture of your TTA with Scott showing that you were there! That should drive the prices up of your TTA's value!

Any means you have no matter how far away, if you own a TTA you have to get it out to Ohio next year for this event! Low miles, High miles, Garage queens and junk yard kings we want to see them ALL there next year in Ohio! This is event is every reason why we all own and love our 1989 turbo trans am's. Now it's time to bring them back together for the first time EVER with their creator. It just does not get any better then this! It's a year away and I'm so excited I wish it was tomorrow! These cars were always considered the red headed step child of the Pontiac world, well now it's time to show them how we can all come together once again! This event will be history in the making.

We have contacted Hemming's, Pontiac Enthusiasts, GM High Tech, and other publications to cover this event. So start your engines blow the cob webs off and get your TTA out to National Trail Raceway one way or another next year!

We also have other special guest that will be added as time passes on! We are not done yet! So stay tunned and find a way to get your TTA out to Ohio next year!

I would also like the thank BPG (Buick Performance Group) for letting us use this venue for a history making event like this. The BPG has done some amazing events at this location over the past few years like the GSX reunion and the Stage 1 reunion to name a few. They are a first class operation all the way. I was extremely pleased when they reached out to host the 1989 turbo trans am reunion at their location. If you want to know more about the BPG and or join their club, follow this link... http://www.buickperformancegroup.com/

members of the BPG do receive discounted ticket prices at the event next year so you may want to join the BPG to save some money on admission, show, and race fee's next year. It's a great group of guys and well worth the membership money.

Below is a never before seen picture of Scott Kelly and the TTA's at Indy! This is only one of the amazing picture collection Scott Kelly will share with us next year in Ohio at the reunion. Scott wants to repeat this picture in Ohio next year so bring those TTA's out!

89 Turbo Trans AM #396

Join Today!
Old 08-24-2010, 09:46 PM
cRaCk wHoRe

The official event flier is out! This event will make history! Pass the word around anyone with a TTA is going to want to be at this event!

89 Turbo Trans AM #396

Join Today!
Old 09-10-2010, 10:26 PM
cRaCk wHoRe

BPG has changed the price structure for next years TTA / T type event. Now is the time to get your tickets and join the BPG so it's one less thing you need to save and worry about for next year!! The prices are as follows....

2011 Friday
$20 spectator member
$25 spectator non-member
$40 racing before 6PM all makes/models
$20 racing after 6PM all makes/models

2011 Saturday
$20 spectator member
$25 spectator non-member
$40 member show
$50 non-member show (Buick only)
$40 member race
$50 non-member race (all makes/models T&T only)

2011 Sunday
$20 spectator member
$25 spectator non-member
$40 member race BUICK ONLY
$50 non-member race BUICK ONLY

Discount on spectator pricing
$45 member 3-day pass (save $15)
$60 non-member 3-day pass (save $15)

Discount on spectator/show pricing
$65 member 3-day pass (save $15)

Pre Registration allowed for members only to be posted in the members section

Refunds in the event of a track rain-out only...

Unused tickets can be rolled over to next year with a BPG members signature prior to the end of Event.

Tickets can be upgraded from spectator to race or show

All other ticket issues will be addressed on a case by case basis

JOIN the BPG today and save for next year! It's a great club with a great bunch of guys running it. The event has always been first class all the way. Follow the link in my sig for more info on the BPG!
89 Turbo Trans AM #396

Join Today!
Old 10-04-2010, 10:01 PM
cRaCk wHoRe

Default Re: 1989 Pontiac Turbo Trans Am Reunion in Hebron, Ohio in 2011

TTT Keep passing the word around guys! 200 TTA's at this event or bust!
89 Turbo Trans AM #396

Join Today!
Old 10-26-2010, 05:16 PM
cRaCk wHoRe

2011 NHRA Rule Book Amendments for those that are going to race their TTA's next year in Ohio.

http://www.nationaltrailraceway.com/...1491&zoneid=23
89 Turbo Trans AM #396

Join Today!
Old 01-05-2011, 01:12 AM
cRaCk wHoRe

Just confirmed Muscle Car Review magazine will be attending the event! They will be shooting pictures and doing an article on the event! You and your car could be famous!

They want to do some shots of the TTA's going up against some of the T-types! Race and show! Bring em out and shine em up!

I have some other publications lined up and when I confirm them I'll post em up. A once in a life time event like this deserves all the coverage!

I also got a neat phone call today. A TTA owner (car 915) from Florida found a ad of the event in one of his local Pontiac news letters that gets mailed out. (I reached out to most of the Pontiac clubs all over the country) He is going to drive his TTA up to the event from Florida. He has no internet access or a PC for that matter! This small add was all he found. Always amazes me how many folks are not on the web and don't even own a PC out there and still rely on paper media. He went on to tell me he's going to drag a few other TTA owners in Florida up to the event as well! July can't get here fast enough!

89 Turbo Trans AM #396

Join Today!
Old 02-13-2011, 07:05 PM
cRaCk wHoRe

TTA REUNION EVENT TRAILER PARKING INFORMATION....

The Buick Performance Group recommends that trailers should be left at the track. We have arranged once again with National Trail to provide overnight armed security with trailer drop off starting on Thursday. In order for a trailer to be removed after hours you will need to provide a drivers license and registration for the trailer that matches. That information will be written down. I will be posting any updates on this....

The hotel parking lots are too small for trailers no matter what hotel you stay in! Keep the hotel lots open and clear by leaving trailers at the track for the weekend. I would recommend arriving when the track is open and going right to the track when you get in town and drop off your trailer. Then go to the hotel and check in. You can always get a wrist ban to let you back in the track if your there and going to leave so you only have to pay one time that day. You'll see some guys take their trailers to the hotels and it's nothing but issues trying to maneuver a trailer in those tiny parking lots needless to say you'll get boxed in there with a trailer.

So get in early go right to the track and drop off your trailer. Just be mindful of where you drop it off and be careful not to park in marked off areas. Typically the BPG will spray paint reserved parking areas on the asphalt around the track. If you pull into the track and head toward the back there is plenty of parking for a trailer back there and no one around to bother it. The track is going to be packed this years event so come in early!
89 Turbo Trans AM #396

Join Today!
Old 02-23-2011, 07:37 PM
cRaCk wHoRe

Some of the speakers for the tech sessions are coming together. This event is going to host guys who have worked on these cars, built, and designed them. This group of guys have never all been in one place since the late 80's! They will be doing tech sessions and speaking over the weekend. The best part is just general admission into the track covers it all!

Scott Kelly and Billy Briggs from PAS will be there along with....

* Ronald Kociba- Was at Buick from 1967 through the late 90s. Instrumental in the early turbocharger years, also developed first prototype intercooled/turbocharged car prior to 1986 when the 86/87 were just about to be release. Also worked as head of Buick Motorsports when they terrorized Indy with their 3.8 turbo engines winning the Indy pole. Also developed FWD Supercharged 3800s of late 90s and early 2000s and instrumental in getting Buick get the Grand National name for use in its production car and also some funny stories about the front spoiler with the GN/T Types being produced on the street for a NASCAR advantage! Good Story, Ill let Ron tell it! Very technical guy about the turbo charger and super good guy! Hopefully will have some paperwork and documentation from the early days, as he is going to start hunting for it as we speak!

* Joe Guzek- Major designer of all major GM muscle car wheels including Gran Sports and GNs. Remarkable guy, owns multiple 60s buicks and turbo regals and also owns a 1 of 1 color (metallic orange)stage 1 4 speed (finally found the correct looking color; hoping to have it painted and he said he hopes to drive it down for '11 event with Manner as they are very close friends!

* Dave Roland- GM Service Writer. Wrote all the service manuals for all the turbo regals, owned a t type brand new in 85, owns an 85 race car and 87 Turbo T. Has rare never before seen assembly manuals, documents and photos of the "G body cars" and some rare GNX and turbo regal photos. Also a good friend of Denny Manner's and a great guy to speak with and has already committed as well to attend the even in 2011!

** Tom Wallace- Buick Assistant Vehicle Chief/ "G" Cars- Chief Design guy for the Buicks, then took over Corvettes. May work for the Museum now in B.G. Denny knows him and is going to try and speak to him as of this writing.

** Ron Yuille- Took over Turbo V6 program at Buick from Ronald Kociba. Ron Kociba is good friends with Ronald Yuille so he will talk to him for me about having him attend and thinks Yuille will attend. Kociba and Yuille both helped develop the intercooled/turbocharged 3.8 popularized in 1986/1987, Kociba was the main guy to initiate it, and Yuille took it over in its prime years. Denny said it will take time but he should be able to get Yuille to come and if he cant get Wallace he is going to be contacting him others he told me, just give me time!

* Denny Manner - a performance minded Buick engineer, created the original proposal for the Stage 2 package. With a long list of upgrades including special heads, a 7,000 rpm camshaft and valvetrain, 11.0:1 compression ratio utilizing special TRW pistons, deep groove pulleys, a 4.30 posi-traction rear end and more, he knew he could create a record breaker that would certainly put Buick on the map at tracks nationwide. Using racers Pop Kennedy and Jim Bell, (think Kenne-Bell), he was able to gather real data by testing these parts on the track.

* Wayne Sherman - was one of 7 people allocated from Flint from Buick to help with the TTA and was one of the final people to carry out the legacy of the Buick Grand National will be in attendance. We are also in contact with several other people who did everything from set up the DEA/FBI Turbo Regals, Computer Programming, AE Piston Design, 3.8 Prototype Engine Builder and several others directly involved with different facets of the TTA and Turbo Regals!

Will be updated as we talk with more guests and attempt to confirm their attendance for the event. If your a Buick owner and or enthusiasts this is the event of a life time not to miss! Just the case of amazing talent that will be there is well worth the trip from anywhere! This is a once in a life time event.
89 Turbo Trans AM #396

Join Today!