GN and T-Type Performance Enthusiasts (GNTTYPE) Forums GN and T-Type Performance Enthusiasts (GNTTYPE) Forums
This is a general site search and does not include list archives.

Go Back   GN and T-Type Performance Enthusiasts (GNTTYPE) Forums > Technical Topics > Turbochargers and Intercoolers

Old 02-20-2010, 12:06 PM

bowtiy is on a distinguished road
Default what size do i shoot for???

Engine:
109 block
balanced
arp head, main, and rod bolts
JE pistons 8.5:1
cometic .040 gaskets
comp hyd roller, 210/215- .516 lift
ported heads, intake, upper plenum, (looks like t.b. also)?
stock headers
3" d.p.

going to purchase a TT chip 60# injector combo, just curious what size turbo i should step up to? and if there is a market at all for a clean ta-49????

has a 2800 stall in it now, but i was told i could ship it back and have the stall speed changed for a price..

3.42 gears, 28" tire
thanks..
'87 G/N comp 210/215 hyd roller, JE pistons,balanced,ARP,cometics, ported factory heads/intake, TA-49 12psi, 36# inj, Reds 93 chip, level 10 trans, 9/11 billet converter 2800rpm, cotton 3"dp, 3" exhaust hooker aero mufflers.
Old 02-20-2010, 02:00 PM
GNTTYPE Founder

Keller is on a distinguished road
Question Re: what size do i shoot for???

Driver? Racer? Going to run 93? Race gas? Alcohol? How much boost are you planning to run?

We need to know what you and the car will be doing before we know what to recommend.

Did you mention an IC?
Old 02-20-2010, 03:53 PM

Default Re: what size do i shoot for???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keller View Post
Driver? Racer? Going to run 93? Race gas? Alcohol? How much boost are you planning to run?

We need to know what you and the car will be doing before we know what to recommend.

Did you mention an IC?
weekend driver/racer mostly, but will be pump gas (92)/alky combo. would love to see 20+psi and also will be buying a FMIC..
'87 G/N comp 210/215 hyd roller, JE pistons,balanced,ARP,cometics, ported factory heads/intake, TA-49 12psi, 36# inj, Reds 93 chip, level 10 trans, 9/11 billet converter 2800rpm, cotton 3"dp, 3" exhaust hooker aero mufflers.
Old 02-21-2010, 03:06 PM
GNTTYPE Founder

Lightbulb Re: what size do i shoot for???

Given the low amount of boost you were running, I think you have not even begun to explore what is possible. And if you want to invest in a larger turbo and IC, plus alcohol and are willing to turn things up, you will probably not believe the performance increase yet to be explored.

If you went to a TA/TE 60 or 61, that would be a fairly conservative choice. You'd still have great street performance, but have good track performance as well.

If you really want to step things up, a TE 63/45 or one of the new 67 class turbos, possibly even the ball bearing units (more $$$). The latter allow quick spooling and require less converter stall at the start, but the initial cost is quite a hit.

Not sure of the source of your 9/11, however the PTS/TCS units seem to be fairly conservative on the rated stall. So a change would likely be needed with a turbo change.

To further refine your target, you might pick your target ET. That would really help with turbo selection. If 12.x is all you want, you pretty much have it. If you want high 10s, you might need to step things up a bit.
Old 02-21-2010, 11:36 PM

Default Re: what size do i shoot for???

i'm really looking for the car to be a solid middle 11's car without pushing it to the limit.. the converter's a PTS and will footbrake to 2800 in the driveway on radials.

Thanks again
Old 02-22-2010, 12:17 AM
GNTTYPE Founder

Lightbulb Re: what size do i shoot for???

Honestly, with the FMIC, alcohol, and proper tuning, the TA49 will probably already have you there. However, not at 12 PSI. Probably more like 23-25 PSI, the right chip, larger injectors, good tires, suspension tweaks, and good tuning.

It would be easier with a TA or TE 60 or 61 and a converter stall adjustment, but going much larger is probably not necessary.