GN and T-Type Performance Enthusiasts (GNTTYPE) Forums GN and T-Type Performance Enthusiasts (GNTTYPE) Forums
This is a general site search and does not include list archives.

Go Back   GN and T-Type Performance Enthusiasts (GNTTYPE) Forums > Technical Topics > Engine Mechanical

Old 02-24-2006, 07:02 PM

(robbie/vinnie) is on a distinguished road
Default Rear Main Seal

Guys ive change the seal twice ,filled side groves withULTRA BLACK HI-TEMP RTV SILICONE.Anyone have any ideas on what im doing wrong??????????
Old 02-24-2006, 07:27 PM
Senior Contributor

87geeinn is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Rear Main Seal

Haven't had the pleasure of doing my rear main yet, but make sure your valve covers and the rear of your intake manifold aren't leaking. Oil leaking from valve covers can run down the back of the motor and look like it's your rear main.
87 GN, stroker, Champion irons and intake, 218/212 cam, TE60, 70mm TB, Precision plenum, FMIC, Alky, Innovate WB, TurboTweak, Powerlogger, 9" real Art Carr non-lock, Brian Hofer 200r4, TA stainless headers, 3" DP, 60lb injectors, MT ET Streets.
Old 02-24-2006, 09:39 PM

PIreland is on a distinguished road

Is the shaft OK? When you installed the seal, you offset the split per standard procedure right? You're not leaking at the pan gasket?

How much of a leak are we talking about? Is the PCV valve good? Do you have breathers on your valve covers or at least the driver's side?

I agree, the leak may be coming from the intake manifold gasket or from the back of the valve covers.

Patrick
Old 02-24-2006, 09:50 PM

(robbie/vinnie) is on a distinguished road

The intake manifold and the valve covers have all new gaskets,i have two breathers on the valve covers,the oil pan gasket is new,i can see it dripping at the corner of the rear main cap where it meets the oil pan. it leaves a good puddle on the floor,besides the flex plate slining the oil all over the underside.

Last edited by (robbie/vinnie); 02-24-2006 at 09:54 PM.
Old 02-25-2006, 01:24 AM
Tech Support

PaCemkr86 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to PaCemkr86

go to the ford dealer and get some diesel silicone, it will seal better then anything

My Turbo Buick
Old 02-28-2006, 08:20 PM

interceptor2 is on a distinguished road

i rec' checking for severe blow by and also every pcv must breath on the other end . my crank moved so bad and groved up to the point i tore her down.
got any bad vibs in motor/flexplate ??? it would be fantastic to install a over size sleeve on the crank like jasper eng uses on their 1-piece crank seals for ford
junk hth
Old 02-28-2006, 10:34 PM
Senior Contributor

chrisgarrett is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by (robbie/vinnie)
Guys ive change the seal twice ,filled side groves withULTRA BLACK HI-TEMP RTV SILICONE.Anyone have any ideas on what im doing wrong??????????
I have installed several rear mains and I found two small steps in the process to be very important. Use a small piece of wire to pop out air bubbles and, very important, let the rtv set up overnight. Squirt in enough rtv so that you see it squishing out the sides of the main. Oh yeah, as said above don't forget to offset the seal as per gnttype instructions.