GN and T-Type Performance Enthusiasts (GNTTYPE) Forums GN and T-Type Performance Enthusiasts (GNTTYPE) Forums
This is a general site search and does not include list archives.

Go Back   GN and T-Type Performance Enthusiasts (GNTTYPE) Forums > Technical Topics > Brakes

Old 10-30-2006, 03:06 PM

needforspeed150 is on a distinguished road
Default Should the power master leave?

Well for the 3rd time the powermaster has let me down. Before it has been the accumilator, Im not sure now but almost does not stop at all. I am thinking about switching to the conversion setup for standard brake system. If I have to replace accumilators several times I will be money ahead. Anybody got any thoughts before I screw my baby up doing something I shouldn't.
Thanks for any input.
Ben Russell
Old 10-30-2006, 03:53 PM
Senior Contributor

chrisgarrett is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Should the power master leave?

Switching the Powermaster to vacuum brakes is a pretty straight-forward thing. Easy to do buy you have to have patience to do the pedal swap. Everyone who has ever commented that I know of is very glad they did it. You can get the vacuum set-up new or used from Brian at www.gbodyparts.com or used from Red regal t on the www.turbobuick.com board.

Here's the how-to:
http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/brak...to_vacuum.html

Last edited by chrisgarrett; 10-30-2006 at 03:55 PM.
Old 10-30-2006, 08:07 PM
Tech Support

PaCemkr86 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to PaCemkr86

i've have done the conversion several times.. the hardest part is changing out the pedal.. When set up right the vaccum conversion is just fine..

My Turbo Buick
Old 11-01-2006, 11:10 PM
Senior Contributor

NOTACARLO is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to NOTACARLO

I did it a while ago and am very happy with the set up. I also used the original brake pedal with the help of a Hobart Handler.
Just another not stock regal. P&P heads/intake, 61mm GT, SLIC w/neck, SMC boozamahol, Sewer sized DP, 60#inj, TT 93, Hofer tranny, fuel cell, A1000 pump, stock cam/pistons, 100lb springs, titanium retainers, SS polished TA valves.
Old 11-02-2006, 09:13 AM
Senior Contributor

zeus87gn is on a distinguished road

From the other side of the fence...

I prefer the powermaster, it has it's advantages. It has the power the moment you touch the pedal, and more power at that moment of demand than vaccum. No worry about not having brakes under boost. It's original to the car, as the fcty intended. It's unique and most certainly a conversation piece (not really an advantage).

But it does have it's drawbacks. It's now expensive to repair/replace. If not properly maintained, can fail without notice.

I rebuilt mine over 6 years ago, have kept good clean fluid in it and it has been performing flawlessly. My latest flush and adjustment last weekend gave our 87 new found braking power.

I'm sure the vaccum works, but if I ever have to change because the PM isn't worth it anymore, I will switch to hydroboost.

JMO
Old 11-02-2006, 09:20 AM
Tech Support

PaCemkr86 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to PaCemkr86

when my powermaster was working i really liked it..
I just got tired of working on it..
I need my brakes reliable

My Turbo Buick
Old 11-02-2006, 09:26 AM
Senior Contributor

zeus87gn is on a distinguished road

I can relate. Before I decided to do the complete rebuild I messed with the accumulator a couple of times and the pressure switch once. After a wheel rework and a good fluid flush, I figured out the motor was weak and an internal leak had developed. I was lucky and got the parts cheap at that time. Been very pleased ever since.
Old 11-03-2006, 11:03 AM

Ormand is on a distinguished road

I just swapped over to hydroboost. I got tired of the PM, and dumped it, even though I had one with a "lifetime" guarantee. The switch to the HB was not easy, though. I might have gone with vacuum if I had know how much work to put in the hydroboost.
Old 11-08-2006, 03:06 PM

needforspeed150 is on a distinguished road

Thanks for all of the input guys. I think I am going to go ahead with the conversion to vacuum. This GN looks like it is not going to be any different than the one I had that I lost in a divorce I was always doing something on the PM on it too.
I agree if it is working it works well but sooner or later I am going to hit something or someone.
Ben Russell