GN and T-Type Performance Enthusiasts (GNTTYPE) Forums GN and T-Type Performance Enthusiasts (GNTTYPE) Forums
This is a general site search and does not include list archives.

Go Back   GN and T-Type Performance Enthusiasts (GNTTYPE) Forums > Technical Topics > Driveability / Troubleshooting

Old 10-03-2004, 10:29 AM

gngirl is on a distinguished road
Question Sputtering problems - HELP!

I have only had my dream car (84 GN) for a week and when I step on it or corner fast she sputters like she is missing, I grew up around a mechanic and know plenty about cars but this problem I can't seem to figure out, have checked everything if anyone can help me with this It would be great.

Performace is not where it needs to be (I think). No track times, not scan tools no diagnostic tools. Just want it running "original".

Hoping some GN enthousiast in Houston can show me the ropes and get this thing runnning right. I am willing to compensate.

Thanks for your time .... Alisa

Last edited by gngirl; 10-03-2004 at 10:35 AM. Reason: More info added
Old 10-03-2004, 12:08 PM
Senior Contributor

Turbo2nr is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Sputtering problems -

try a new o2 sensor. It is a cheap part, worth a shot, since you are just shooting in the dark without a scan tool. Could be one or more of many things. Too bad the scanmaster does not work with your year car. It will be difficult to diagnose without some sensor numbers. Try to go to an auto parts store for a scan, write down numbers, ya'll come back now,...ya hear?
Old 10-03-2004, 01:07 PM

The car runs fine on the highway. Seems like it "cuts out" and runs on 4 cylinders when it misses. Does not do it all the time which makes it difficult to diagnose. after the "cut out/miss" with a steady throttle, the miss dissapears. Does anyone make a scan tool for the 84? will an 87 computer plug inot the 84 for "plug and play"? Thanks!
Old 10-03-2004, 04:08 PM
Senior Contributor

Turbo2nr is on a distinguished road

Not too hard to swap computers. I think MAF is a little different, so put that on the list, and an intake temp sensor, not expensive. Then a whole new world of options are out there. Chips, scan tools, etc.Good idea. Check this site for instructions. It could be a coil pack going bad. Kirbans has one for about $60 NEW. That is a good deal. I'd keep a spare anyway. Good luck!

Scott
Old 10-03-2004, 04:53 PM
GNTTYPE Founder

Keller is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb Re: Sputtering problems -

Quote:
Originally Posted by gngirl
Does anyone make a scan tool for the 84? will an 87 computer plug inot the 84 for "plug and play"?
The TurboLink tool and the OTC4000 are two of the tools that fit both cars right off the top of my head. Tuning and ****yzing problems with these cars is all but impossible without a scan tool, like most modern cars. See http://outlook.acceleratetech.com/tlink/scanchart.html for some comparison.

As far as the ECM swap, see http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/ecmsensors/8487ecm.html for the details.
Old 10-04-2004, 11:15 PM

Thanks Scott your a doll for the help!