GN and T-Type Performance Enthusiasts (GNTTYPE) Forums GN and T-Type Performance Enthusiasts (GNTTYPE) Forums
This is a general site search and does not include list archives.

Go Back   GN and T-Type Performance Enthusiasts (GNTTYPE) Forums > Technical Topics > Engine Electrical/Ignition

Old 04-25-2009, 03:54 PM
87 W02 Y56 LC2

speeddemon165 is on a distinguished road
Exclamation just got it and i wont fire?

i just picked up a 87 and i cant seem to make it fire up havent checked the fuel pressure yet but i know i dont have spark but it bumped a few times when i got it. it never fully fired up i have recipt for a new crank angle sensor and it has a new (or as i were told ) coil pack the old ones in the trunk also it has a factory security system in it if that has any thing to do with it also what is the box under the dash above the gas petal that is marked ac we were tappping it when the car bumped (some thing the old owner sayed work for him)

im not new to turbo regals but this is my first intercooled car so im a little lost
Old 04-25-2009, 04:40 PM
Tech Support

Ts86ttype is on a distinguished road
Default Re: just got it and i wont fire?

The box under the dash with AC on it is for the cruise control and will not keep you from starting up... The factory security system will not keep you from having spark... It sounds like the previous owner was also trying to get the car running by changing out parts. If you suspect no spark you might want to check and make sure the crank sensor is installed correctly... Is your battery good, motor cranking over well??? Make sure you have good grounds, the main ground on the passenger front of the motor and the ones on the passenger side rear head... Is the check engine light coming on when you turn your ignition switch to the run position to tell you the ECM is at least alive... You see there are a lot of things to check so we can help you. Tom G. Check here for the no start trouble tree http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/main...e/nostart.html

Last edited by Ts86ttype; 04-25-2009 at 04:48 PM.
Old 04-26-2009, 12:49 AM
87 W02 Y56 LC2

i was just working on it and the motor turns over fine the grounds were good the ecu's getting power engine light comes on the fuel pressure is at 60psi we got it to fire for about 45 seconds and had to keep it at wot to run then went to fire it up once more and back to no spark then a couple of random sparks just when you turn the key and then no spark and it dont always spark when you turn the key just every so often

sad to say but shaking the steering collum shifter seemed to render the best results on getting fire. but it just may have been dumb luck i feel like such a tard i can rebuild a rotory motor but i cant get a buick to run

oh whats the best way to check the crank angle sensor to see if its working properly or if he mounted it on the right way the books i have are worthless
Old 04-26-2009, 01:02 AM
GNTTYPE Founder

Keller is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Re: just got it and i wont fire?

Um...

Maybe we need to understand what you're trying to do and what sensors you are having problems with.

There are two sensors that are used to fire the ignition on the 86/87 cars: crank and cam.

Crank sensor has two slots. It is possible to install it using the wrong slot. If you do it will not start. Also, a proper gap must be set or the shutter wheel will slice up the sensor. I found that two lateral (not horizontal) slices from a pop/soda bottle were just right for setting the fore and aft gap.

The cam sensor must be set to indicate the #1 cylinder. The process for setting it is covered in three separate articles here: http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/ecmsensors/ecmpage.html

Note that insuring you have your plug wires connected to the coil properly, the coil oriented correctly, etc. are all important.
Old 04-26-2009, 11:50 AM
87 W02 Y56 LC2

the plug wires are on corect and seated properley the coil packs not fully bolted down old owner lost most the bolts the check the gap on the sensors tonight

this may sound stupid but has the regal ever had a resistor key cause theres a bypas for one under the dash

thanks for all the help so far
Old 04-26-2009, 12:01 PM
GNTTYPE Founder

Lightbulb Re: just got it and i wont fire?

These cars do not have a resistor key. Why are you certain that is what the box is for?

Not having the coil and module bolted down is not a great idea but I'm not sure that would lead to a no-start.
Old 05-09-2009, 12:46 PM
87 W02 Y56 LC2

a friend of mine installs alarm's and is quite good at it looked the car over (im electronicly challenged) and said that thats what it was for having owned a few g-body's in my lifetime and never seen one i figured id ask
Old 05-09-2009, 05:01 PM
GNTTYPE Founder

That should give you an idea how good most alarm installers are...

These cars really are just a little different than most.

It could be for the factory alarm, if the car has one. Locking the doors with the electric locks, before closing them would trigger it on. Opening them with the key is the only way to turn it off. A switch on the locks senses the activity.

Last edited by Keller; 05-09-2009 at 05:03 PM.
Old 06-18-2009, 03:54 PM
87 W02 Y56 LC2

fixed it now i hear the bottom end noise a coolent hose leaked on the cam sensor shorted out the coil pack and the guy before me messed up the crank sensor and it took a strike but now its all fixed and i got a bottom end noise more like a sqeaking i didnt run it long mabey 25 seconds so now im gona pull it and rebiuld it got a guy here who does great port work so hell why not
Old 06-18-2009, 04:06 PM
GNTTYPE Founder

Hopefully your work with someone that knows these motors. They run much tighter tolerances than most engines. "Its not a Chivvy..."