GN and T-Type Performance Enthusiasts (GNTTYPE) Forums GN and T-Type Performance Enthusiasts (GNTTYPE) Forums
This is a general site search and does not include list archives.

Go Back   GN and T-Type Performance Enthusiasts (GNTTYPE) Forums > Body/Trim/Detailing Tips > Body Work

Old 01-26-2010, 11:05 PM

Edly is on a distinguished road
Default roof repair (was: Back again)

Hi everyone. I used to have a 85 T-Type and I am currently considering the purchase a 87 GN from a friend. I can get it for $1500, and I think it is pretty reasonable for it's condition. It has been a couple of years since I have been on this site, and was the first place I thought of on the ride home from looking at the car.
My only concern is the former owner tried to repair the top of the car where the windshield meets the roof(top drivers side). He did a horrible job. other than that, the car is pretty sound. Frame is in good shape, motor is clean, and interior is fair. Has original rims with center caps, all the emblems, and he also has 5 extra T-Tops(from regular Regals). My thoughts are I should grab this car while I can and get to work. I just can't get past the bad job on the repair of the roof. I know enough people that weld for a living and that could probably fix the butcher job that has been done to it, but I don't know if it will ever be right. Has anyone ever had this repaired? Any thoughts?

Thanks.
Old 01-29-2010, 07:16 AM
Senior Contributor

87geeinn is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Back again

Are you sure you mean only $1500? An 87GN, running or not is worth $1500 even if it's been wrecked beyond repair. You can part one out and make your money back in no time. Hell, I'd almost buy it sight unseen for that price.

I'm assuming this one is in running condition. Sooo, if you don't want it, someone else will gladly take advantage of that opportunity.
87 GN, stroker, Champion irons and intake, 218/212 cam, TE60, 70mm TB, Precision plenum, FMIC, Alky, Innovate WB, TurboTweak, Powerlogger, 9" real Art Carr non-lock, Brian Hofer 200r4, TA stainless headers, 3" DP, 60lb injectors, MT ET Streets.
Old 01-29-2010, 10:00 PM

I am not passing up on this one, sorry ;-)

It will be in the garage next week. Just wondering the best way to fix the damage to the roof/A pillar.
Old 01-31-2010, 10:11 PM

pontiac6269 is on a distinguished road

Maybe you can have the front half of the roof reskined.
1987 Turbo Regal = PTE-44,60#inj,TT E85 chip,CAI,100# valve springs,Autometer oil,water,SW boost gauge,hotwired Walbro 340,AFPR,160 thermostat,homemade 3" downpipe,2 3/4" exhaust,Scanmaster2.1,LS1 maf,translater,PTC 10"2800 stall
Old 01-31-2010, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pontiac6269 View Post
Maybe you can have the front half of the roof reskined.
talked with some people today, they seem to think it is salvagable.
Old 02-01-2010, 12:49 PM
Whoosh

kenmosher is on a distinguished road
Default Re: roof repair (was: Back again)

It's going to come down to how much damage (some pics would be nice?)

If it's just in the skin, then it will be (relatively) easy. If the frame is bent bad enough or the front supports are bent, then it's a more involved process (but still doable). It just comes down to difficulty vs.$$$
2012 Volkswagen Tiguan (the Tig!) Night Blue Met (sold)
2006 Trailblazer SS Red Jewel Tint 395 HP AWD (sold)
2014 Silverado LTZ Crew 4WD
2012 Honda VFR 1200F Tahitian Blue (sold)
2015 BMW S1000R Racing Red
2013 Honda CBR500R Red (wife's bike)
2014 Triumph Bonneville T100
2003 Harley Davidson V Rod Anniversary Edition