GN and T-Type Performance Enthusiasts (GNTTYPE) Forums GN and T-Type Performance Enthusiasts (GNTTYPE) Forums
This is a general site search and does not include list archives.

Go Back   GN and T-Type Performance Enthusiasts (GNTTYPE) Forums > Technical Topics > Hot Air Cars - 1984 - 1985 Turbo Regals/ GNs

Old 03-31-2005, 07:35 AM

arthdgls is on a distinguished road
Bang Head Wrong Engine Block

My 1985 wh1 has a 140 block in it. According to the site it should have a 329 block, I don't know what to do should i find a 329 block or since the engine assymbly isn't original for the car opt for the 109 and go flyin. Also how do you guys feel this will hurt the cars value. For all i know it could have had crate motor installed Jasper ATK Bonded , etc. Non car guys dont pay attention to detail and perfection the way some of us do.
Old 03-31-2005, 10:37 AM
GNTTYPE Founder

Keller is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb Re: Wrong Engine Block

Unless you have a rebuild planned, I'm not sure I'd sweat it. Looking at http://www.gnttype.org/general/v6hist.html the '329 and the '140 were used in the non-turbo cars, so they're not likely to be very different. And the '109 blocks were used in turbo and non-turbo 86-87 cars. Obviusly the turbo cars had an extra hole for the turbo drainback, but the 109's seem to (sadly) be the same.

Unless you have a 600 HP project afoot, I'd say leave it alone.

Might even just be an error in the table. Any other '85 owners have data to contribute?

Last edited by Keller; 03-31-2005 at 06:20 PM.
Old 03-31-2005, 09:54 PM

brad_padgett is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Wrong Engine Block

I have a similuar situation. I had a stock 85 GN and had Jaspers rebuild it along with a larger cam. The engine came back painted grey. The engine ran just like the stock one and would do a 14.8 qtr. I changed the exhaust with Poston Headers and 86/87 Hooker Hi flow exhaust. I put on and adj. waste gate actuator and set it the wrong way because the stock boost gauge is worthless. Blew the motor up. Jaspers would not honor their warranty because of my stupidity and I agree with them.

They offered me a deal for a new motor at a lower price with no warranty. This engine is painted black and the lifter valley was painted orange. I took the deal. This engine really rocks- I next lost three new turbos because the stock breather became plugged with oil. Problem solved with a Poston oil fill pipe.
I need to look up what type of block I have. Can you spot the block numbers without removing the trans? Thanks- Brad

P.S. I drove my Hot Air today and it runs and sounds great- Stay with your project because it is alot of fun going cruisin
Old 04-01-2005, 07:37 PM

arthdgls is on a distinguished road

Brad Refer to the photo guide . There are some pictures, but the casting numbers are extermely easy to find . I looked mine up last sunday while it was raining; I had too know. Crawl under the drivers side behind the front wheel , The numbers will be slightly to the front of the bellhousing area . It is definitely not necessary to remove the conv shield. Thanks for the response . Im a master technician with a lot of engine building/ blueprinting experience , I have a performance rebuild already in the works , and I can't wait to turn the key. Doug Conyer 1985 WH1
Old 04-01-2005, 11:07 PM

brad_padgett is on a distinguished road

I took the advice and crawled under my 85gn and checked the block number on my Jasper crate engine. It is a 140 block instead on the original 329. What is the difference? The engine runs great and I do not drag. Mods are Poston Headers, Hooker hi flow exhaust, hot wire kit, cold air kit. new fuel pump and ultra chip. Is this a real concern? What is the difference? Thanks Brad
Old 04-03-2005, 07:09 PM

turbogimp is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to turbogimp

thats ok i have a 290 block in my car. im not even sure if any thing except for my intake and exaust manifolds are correct. how do i find out where this block came from and how do i find out if my heads are the correct ones?

thanks in advance

John Mero
1984 Buick Regal T-Type WH1
Old 04-03-2005, 09:00 PM
GNTTYPE Founder

Keller is on a distinguished road
Angry Re: Wrong Engine Block

Use the site. Read the thread.

http://www.gnttype.org/general/v6hist.html
Old 04-04-2005, 09:37 PM

turbogimp is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to turbogimp