GN and T-Type Performance Enthusiasts (GNTTYPE) Forums GN and T-Type Performance Enthusiasts (GNTTYPE) Forums
This is a general site search and does not include list archives.

Go Back   GN and T-Type Performance Enthusiasts (GNTTYPE) Forums > Technical Topics > Gauges

Old 07-04-2009, 08:52 PM
What....

Dan87GN is on a distinguished road
Default GNX Style gauge cluster

I got this with my 87 GN as an extra part. I know its a GNX style but thats about it. I searched and have not been able to find who makes it or any other info about it. I did stumble across a pic of the same gauge cluster panel but it did not have any info with the picture. Anyone know who makes this or have pics of it installed? Thanks, Dan.

Old 07-05-2009, 07:37 AM

davpar is on a distinguished road
Default Re: GNX Style gauge cluster

Hey Dan,

You've got an AVC GNX Style Dash. These haven't been available for many years. Here's some pics as well as installation instructions that you'll need.
Haven't installed mine yet either, but there are quite a few out there and have seen pictures by many installed.

Good Luck with your install.

dave
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF3431.jpg
Views:	938
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	1663  Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF3429.jpg
Views:	799
Size:	40.8 KB
ID:	1664  Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF3433.jpg
Views:	778
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	1665  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf AVC Directions.pdf (326.6 KB, 833 views)
File Type: pdf AVC Directions Pictures.pdf (315.3 KB, 730 views)
Old 07-05-2009, 01:28 PM
What....

Oh man you are Awsome!!!!!!!!!!! Thank you so much!
Old 07-05-2009, 02:07 PM

Your welcome Dan........glad I could help....

If you don't have the AVC lens that came with these units.... ...you'll need to drill a small hole in yours for the speedo reset button.

Do you also have the water temp, oil pressure etc. sending units and most importantly the VSS for your speedo hook up? Contact Caspers Electronics if you need the VSS......John will fix you up.

www.casperselectronics.com

Cheers!

dave
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AVC dash cluster 001.jpg
Views:	1355
Size:	165.1 KB
ID:	1668  Click image for larger version

Name:	AVC dash cluster 005.jpg
Views:	716
Size:	113.6 KB
ID:	1669  
Old 07-05-2009, 08:04 PM
What....

Thanks again dave it really helps when I can see what I am working with. I do have the AVC plastic cover. Its a bit scratched so I am going to see about buffing the scratchs out. If that doesn't work I'll make one myself.

I am looking at the pic of the sending units, VSS, wires, speedo cable. I have the speedo cable but that it. I believe the person I got the car from already had the cluster in so I may have the sensors already installed. If not where do you think I could get them from? VDO? What is that little wire harness with the blue wires? What does it do? Where can I get that or can I make it myself?

It looks like AVC cluster was in the car before but someone put the original back for some reason. The black panel that holds the cluster has been cut as per the instructions so if the AVC hasn't been in someone started to install and then stoppped. I am going to finish it and with your help dave its going to ROCK!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by Dan87GN; 07-09-2009 at 06:48 PM. Reason: bad grammer
Old 07-05-2009, 10:10 PM
GNTTYPE Founder

Keller is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Re: GNX Style gauge cluster

Interesting...The dash that Dave posted pictures of has a Metric speedometer, but all the other gauges are US spec. (PSI, degrees F, etc.) and not Metric. (i.e. degrees C, etc.)
Old 07-05-2009, 11:01 PM

Default Re: AVC GNX Style gauge cluster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keller View Post
Interesting...The dash that Dave posted pictures of has a Metric speedometer, but all the other gauges are US spec. (PSI, degrees F, etc.) and not Metric. (i.e. degrees C, etc.)
Hey Scott,

Good eye! The speedo didn't start out that way though.

Since I live in Canada where the speed limit is posted in KMH....I decided to have the 160 MPH speedo re-calibrated to KMH + a new face plate made up to match. My GN has the speedo in KMH, so it only made sense for me to change this one up too. Had Hollywood Speedo & Clock in Hollywood CA do the work for me...they do great work, are reasonably priced and fast service. I'd recommend anyone needing VDO repairs send them to these folks.

Dan,

Check your car as you stated, the VDO sending units for your gauges may be installed already. If not, they can be purchased from any VDO authorized dealer / distributor. Again, the VSS....best to check with Caspers to see which is best suited for your set up. I'm not too sure what the small blue wiring harness is either....I'll dig it out and try to let you know.

Regards,
dave
Old 07-05-2009, 11:03 PM
What....

Ok so I was looking at the engine bay and it seems the AVC sensors are installed already. The VSS is also in place but the OEM upper cable has been hooked in so it can run the OEM gauge cluster. I haven't looked to see if the AC duct has been drilled.

I didn't see any tubing for the boost gauge or fittings for the back of the gauge. Do you can I get this from VDO if I need the parts?

VSS

Oil pressure sensor

Water temp sensor

Last edited by Dan87GN; 07-05-2009 at 11:08 PM.
Old 07-05-2009, 11:07 PM

Dan,

Just checked the AVC instructions and it says the the blue wire is hooked up to the tach.

Hope this helps.

dave
Old 07-06-2009, 12:52 AM
What....

Any idea these cut wire are? Looks like the 2 white with brown stripes go to a idiot light. Single white with grey stripe wire goes? Where do the white with blue stripe go? I see it wired to one of the left side idiot lights. Where on the car do they plug into or on?

*Update* OK, looks like the single wht with gray stripe wire is the wire plugged into the rear of the Tach for the sending signal. Not sure where it ties into on the car yet.

Last edited by Dan87GN; 07-06-2009 at 01:05 AM.